PDA

View Full Version : Remington R markings

jerrbear
02-24-2016, 11:05
I have noticed on some Remington O3A3s that some of the R's are not always the ""Blocked style". I have seen some that have a curly foot at the bottom of the R. Does that denote a later built part or is that common. The gun I have has all blocked R's and have 1 that has the curled foot R on the cutoff switch. Is there a difference or has anyone else noticed this or am I losing it.

Rick the Librarian
02-24-2016, 12:06
No, there are some parts and some time periods in which "serif" Rs were used. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which periods they were used.

jerrbear
02-24-2016, 12:25
So could there be a mixture of these R's on an original rifle or would that combination be a rebuild?

John Beard
02-24-2016, 08:14
Serifed "R's" on Remington M'03-A3's are associated with later production in most cases. A few exceptions exist. I have data showing when each part transitioned from block "R" to serifed "R". Some parts never transitioned from block "R's". A serifed "R" on a cutoff is a later production part. The cutoff, however, underwent several other design and manufacturing changes, each of which has a specific serial range.

Hope this helps.

J.B.