PDA

View Full Version : 'replacement' slide for 1937 1911A1

westgard
02-28-2016, 03:59
Is there such a thing? I bought a slide that was part of a grab bag of parts. It has the longer/shallower disconnector cutout on the bottom, and is marked "MODEL OF 1911. U.S. ARMY" on the slide. It does not have any inspector marks of any kind nor a serial number on the back end above/below the firing pin hole. It is covered in grease and what looks to be pieces of wax paper here and there. I didn't take off all the grease - just enough to have a look at the markings, rampant colt, etc. The bluing looks bright/brilliant where I did clean it off. Here are a few (marginal) pictures too. Would appreciate some opinions/thoughts. Thank you!

Scott Gahimer
02-28-2016, 06:19
There were parts kits issued at that time (1937), and a slide was part of those kits. Several of these slides have surfaced over the years, and a few are believed to have used to "correct" pistols with incorrect or non-matching numbers slides. These used to be favorites of the guys who humped-up pistols. They'd number them to match. When I see them, I typically try to buy them just to keep them out of the wrong hands. However, it seems many of the sellers are actually looking for someone who will pay a bundle, knowing that if they do, it will most likely be used for ill-gotten gain.

In answer to your inquiry, yes it is a replacement slide...but was not made for the '37-specific pistols. That's just when they were made, so they have '37 characteristics.

westgard
02-29-2016, 03:26
Yes, thanks for the correction, an important one about time frame of manufacture vs what pistol it was made for.

prewar
03-01-2016, 05:57
Is there a P in front of rear sight ?

westgard
03-02-2016, 03:00
No, there is no P on the slide.

prewar
03-13-2016, 04:06
Wow that's the first one I have seen without the P !!!!!!