PDA

View Full Version : October `42 Winchester M1

DRAGON64
02-29-2016, 05:32
I originally purchased this rifle as a field grade from the CMP on Good Friday of 2014; She is a WRA with original barrrel (TE=2+ / ME=2+). Except for the receiver, barrel and gas cylinder, these were the only WRA components. I have since replaced components with as close to correct as I can find, with the exception of the gas lock plug and lockbar sight, which both are after market place holders... $600 for correct flush nut sights is a real eye-opener... The op rod is a modified op rod, and the stock is a re-build stock, marked RA-P. It is a true Winchester built stock, but it was destined for the rebuild program, therefore there are no cartouches. The bonus is, the handguards look like they were cut from the same tree, so they match perfectly. Here are some most recent images of my rifle...

dave
02-29-2016, 06:02
Exactly what is field grade. I got all my M1's back in late 90's and they are service grade. (495 or something) Yours is very nice, what are the costs now?

DRAGON64
02-29-2016, 06:13
I believe I gave $795 for the WRA field grade in 2014. Essentially, the stock was in extreme rough condition, and the parts were mix-matched, which is why it was a field grade. I have attached an image of the rifle the day it came home with me... Had the rifle had a nicer stock, it might have been graded closer to a service grade.

PaFrank
02-29-2016, 03:53
The main difference between Service Grade and field grade, is the throat erosion measurement. Everything else is secondary.

You can check the CMP website, but I believe a Service grade with have a TE of 5 or less, and a field grade greater than 5 but less than 9. (a TE 10 measurement call for a barrel replacement)

Griff Murphey
03-01-2016, 09:28
I have CMP racker 1226226 one of the last Danish Winchesters, $400 in '04; I just wanted a Winchester remembering those silvery receivers and that Winchester script on the heel from high school ROTC. Mine looks almost the same. Although a vile rack grade it shoots better than my new appearing H&R. I have done nothing to correct it, has mixmaster parts but does have a Winchester trigger group. My rifle's barrel is SA1-43 so prob a replacement. as the rifle was built in August '42.

dave
03-01-2016, 10:08
All the rifles I got at the 495 price (service grade) have mixed parts, most look like they had a recent rebuild. I got a IHC all original except for the trigger group, which I corrected. This was before they had so many grades as they seem to have now. I got a Win Danish (navy) that was built in Dec. 41. Well used but clean and I could not resist keeping it cause of the date.

Major Tom
03-03-2016, 04:03
Very nice Winchester! Wish I still had mine. My Winchester had the same build as yours did originally. I replaced all non Winchester parts with correct parts. It was a WW2 built in June 1943.

DRAGON64
03-03-2016, 04:28
Thanks guys, I have always liked the Winchester M1... milling marks and all, the Winchester M1 Garand was the most unique build of the four manufacturers. There are still some parts that I would like to correct while I can still afford to, otherwise the rifle is awesome the way it is currently configured.

Major Tom
03-04-2016, 02:34
I might add that finding and BUYING correct parts for Winchesters can be EXPENSIVE and time consuming.
Good luck!

dave
03-04-2016, 03:08
For any of them really! Thats why I don't do it (except for one trigger group) and I think they should be worth more as they left the military, rather then having parts added that were never on that particular rifle.

DRAGON64
03-04-2016, 08:18
Yeppers, some of the parts have set me back a bit. The op rod was a given replacement, as it is the most unique op rod of any of the manufacturers... next was the stock. Although not a WWII stock, mt rifle sportss a Winchester stock (for the rebuild program). Five years ago many of the CMP customers did not like the Winchesters, because the parts are full of machine marks, and look bad in many cases... now the machine are called character, the more the better!

34637 34638 34639