PDA

View Full Version : Heresy!!!!!

BEAR
03-01-2016, 07:05
During my lunch hour today I went to a local gun store where my son works. He has standing orders to inform me of any and all 03s and A3s that come in for sale (even the sporterized ones). Well, there he was with this huge Cheshire Cat grin splitting his face when I walked in. He says "Hey Dad, we got a 1903A1 in the back." (Bestill my pounding heart ... just what I've been searching for.)

Then he lowers his voice and the Cheshire Cat grin turned into a Grinch grimace and he says "But it's not for sale, the customer needs some work done. (Oh, spawn of Satan thou hast brought me down to the fiery depths!)

I glanced over the counter into the back room and saw a sweet looking 03A1 with leather sling. So, I ask him what's wrong with it. He says "Nothing." He then holds up a flatish metal ramp thingy and continues "He wants this scope ramp mounted."

With best meek and mild voice I say "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" The whole store stopped and looked at me.

Thinking he might be a Gen-X or Millinniel kid who wants a hunting rifle I said that I would trade him my pristine 30.06 Ruger M77 RS with a scope for his rifle.

My son says "No Dad, he's about your age and a re-enactor who wants to portray a sniper theme for his group.

Needless to say the rest of my day was ruined.

"Oh, the humanity!"

JimF
03-02-2016, 07:01
Yup . . . .I know how you feel . . . .

Just yesterday, I was informed that a friend of mine had just drilled and tapped a very clean . . . though rebuilt . . . .'03A3 for a "long-scope, faux sniper"!

This is the second one he has done!! (At least the first was built on only an '03 receiver, but, never-the-less . . . . )

Me-thinks I need to take him "out behind the barn"!! --Jim

Rick the Librarian
03-02-2016, 07:04
I occasionally handle questions about "sporterizing" M1903s or other military rifles, by suggesting that they save themselves trouble by just burning a stack of $100 bills in their driveway! :)

You might ask the guy at the store if you can contact the guy. If it is as good as you say, tell him you'll find him another one (mixmaster) to replace it.

gnoahhh
03-02-2016, 09:44
I have a mixmaster nickel steel 1903A1 put together with a righteous pre-war C stock and a new Criterion barrel. In the vein of this conversation, would I be committing a faux pas by d/t'ing the receiver ring for the Unertl base needed for an upcoming fake sniper build? Obviously d/t'ing the barrel is a no-brainer, but I'm mildly concerned about d/t'ing the hitherto unmolested receiver. Are we extending the "no harm policy toward original rifles" to orphan receivers now too?

(I have the bases from a long ago M2 that sported a Unertl, and an orphan 10x Unertl to go with them. The aforementioned rifle is scary accurate, and I just want to explore its full potential. Since I'm too gimpy to engage in position shooting anymore- which is a moot point that my aging eyes would back up after an afternoon spent dealing with the original sights- and only shoot from the bench, I figure why not?)

BEAR
03-02-2016, 12:09
If it is as good as you say, tell him you'll find him another one (mixmaster) to replace it.
Update on the 03A1 I saw in the store.

I was not able to handle the rifle yesterday because I was not an employee (understandable). And what I saw from about 20' on the main floor was a prewar pistol grip stock, flat black park on barrel and receiver and a leather sling.

My son got a closer look after closing time:

Springfield Armory receiver #99XXXX with a barrel stamped SA 9-18 and it is a flat black/charcoal park (Ok, so it's not in the A1 serial number range BUT the Army did classify any C stocked rifle an A1).

Upper barrel band 03 but the stacking swivel is A3 ... as is the lower barrel band and sling swivel (Alright, now it is a full-fledged mixmaster).

My son says the A3 parts have a shiny black finish (Hmmmm! I've seen blued A3 finishes and flat black park and flat grey park but never shiny black ... but then again, I'm not an expert.)

Leather sling was a repop with only 2 rivets on the hooks.

The bolt had an Arsenal Bomb and some numbers stamped on the upper flat of the bolt handle (????)

Unfortunately, there was rust present on the front sight, rear sight knobs, bolt safety and latch on the the magazine floorplate.

Not the pristine, unmolested A1 I had seen in my minds eye, but totally fixable.

Last point: Your rifle is YOUR rifle and you can do with it what you bloody well please (as long as it's legal). And my opinion about unmolested 1903s and A3s is my opinion and I can feel any way I bloody please. So we'll all sing together "It's your thing.....Do what you wanna do ... YEAH".

Jim in Salt Lake
03-02-2016, 12:51
Bear, I agree with you, it's your rifle, do what you want. However, when I built my faux 1903a1, I found a rifle that was in military condition except the stock had been shortened and a recoil pad installed. Also, a Weaver 330 had been installed with a side mount. The rifle cost me $300 and the receiver ring was virgin which made mounting the rear scope block easier. I had to buy a new stock but I had all the metal parts. I just couldn't see drilling a virgin rifle and blowing $500. The gently sportered rifles are out there, just have to look.

Rick the Librarian
03-02-2016, 01:00
I have had people tell me, after I gave them the above piece of advice, that they still want to sporterize it or perform some other atrocity on it. After giving my my opinion, I smile, wish them well and walk away. :)

StockDoc
03-02-2016, 01:58
Bad news a rifle was dinged, good news, other originals went up a little bit in price.

Jon Field
03-05-2016, 03:30
I have a Remington 1903 receiver drilled I would be interested in selling. 2 holes in ring 1 in rear bridge!