PDA

View Full Version : Questions on a Remington 1903 Modified

robh5
03-13-2016, 02:05
I have a few questions regarding some of the parts found on a Remington 1903 modified.

Should the stock have the RLB cartouche instead of the FJA?
Should the front band be forged instead of stamped?
Are all of the other bands and butt plate stamped like a 03a3?
Is the trigger guard stamped?
Are the above parts a mix of blue and parkerized finish?
And last, is the sighting groove on the top of the hand guard short in length 2 1/4" or longer 3 1/4"?

Thanks for any help.

Rick the Librarian
03-13-2016, 03:00
"Remington M1903 Modified" was the name for the whole series. It is currently being misused to describe later Remington M1903s by collectors and a few authors who should know better.

If you give us the serial number of your rifle, I can tell you whether a RLB or FJA would have been original. Keep in mind there were different variations of both inspection stamps.

To answer some of your other questions:

1) All Remington M1903s had milled upper bands

2) Stamped trigger guards and lower bands were used on Remington after roughly about 3,240,000 or so. The trigger guards were all of the smaller type, not the later "winter" ones seen on later M1903A3s.

3) Buttplates were all milled.

The sighting groove and the finish someone else will have to assist you.

John Beard
03-13-2016, 11:04
I have a few questions regarding some of the parts found on a Remington 1903 modified.

Should the stock have the RLB cartouche instead of the FJA?
Should the front band be forged instead of stamped?
Are all of the other bands and butt plate stamped like a 03a3?
Is the trigger guard stamped?
Are the above parts a mix of blue and parkerized finish?
And last, is the sighting groove on the top of the hand guard short in length 2 1/4" or longer 3 1/4"?

Thanks for any help.

Answers are as follows:

(1) It depends on the serial number.
(2) Yes, the upper band should be forged.
(3) It depends on the serial number. The upper band was never stamped.
(4) It depends on the serial number.
(5) Yes. Finishes vary with serial number.
(6) Short.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Kragrifle
03-14-2016, 05:14
I bought this 1903 Remington because of condition and the fact that all parts, except for the milled buttplate (marked R) were stamped including the front band. The rifle looks like it has been together since birth. To my recollection, this is the only 1903 Remington I have seen with a stamped front band.

robh5
03-14-2016, 07:30
"Remington M1903 Modified" was the name for the whole series. It is currently being misused to describe later Remington M1903s by collectors and a few authors who should know better.

If you give us the serial number of your rifle, I can tell you whether a RLB or FJA would have been original. Keep in mind there were different variations of both inspection stamps.

To answer some of your other questions:

1) All Remington M1903s had milled upper bands

2) Stamped trigger guards and lower bands were used on Remington after roughly about 3,240,000 or so. The trigger guards were all of the smaller type, not the later "winter" ones seen on later M1903A3s.

3) Buttplates were all milled.

The sighting groove and the finish someone else will have to assist you.
I haven't seen the rifle in years. I will be getting it from my father within the next month. I don't remember the exact serial number, but I do remember that it was 3,240,000 range.
Thanks for the info.

Rick the Librarian
03-14-2016, 08:52
If original, the rifle would probably have a FJA stock, probably with stock bolts; probably the trigger guard and lower band would be stamped.

Post some pictures when you get it.

John Beard
03-14-2016, 10:19
I bought this 1903 Remington because of condition and the fact that all parts, except for the milled buttplate (marked R) were stamped including the front band. The rifle looks like it has been together since birth. To my recollection, this is the only 1903 Remington I have seen with a stamped front band.

Answers are as follows:

(1) FJA
(2) Forged
(3) Yes. A milled "R" marked buttplate cannot be considered incorrect, but very highly unlikely.
(4) Yes.
(5) All parts were blued except the receiver and barrel with sight bases, which were parkerized.
(6) Short.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

robh5
03-15-2016, 06:28
Thank you to J.B. and Rick for the above info.
One last question, about what serial number range would you see the RLB cartouche end and the FJA begin?

Rick the Librarian
03-15-2016, 06:46
John can undoubtedly correct me, but the boxed or unboxed RLB would be up to ABOUT the 3,075,000 range; then the "spread" unboxed RLB ("R L B") up until about 3,190,000, and the FJA after that.