PDA

View Full Version : Slight problem loading .40 S&W

joem
03-16-2016, 06:01
I've been having a slight problem loading S&W .40 with cast SWC. All cases are decaped/sized with a Lee die set and expanded with the powder through die. All the bullets are cast SWC from MO Bullet. Most of my cases will load and chamber but some will not. I have LE Wilson cases gauge and I try all of them after loading. A few will barely enter the cases gauge. Some will go half way. I can remove the decap pin and size them again and many will fit an chamber. Some however will only go part way into the case gauge leaving the bottom 1/4" out of the gauge. I know these will never chamber. I try to pick up my fired brass but maybe I'm getting a few range pick up. I don't understand what the problem is. I have ordered a bulge buster die that I will try on some of the cases to see if that the problem. Any ideas??

Litt'le Lee
03-16-2016, 07:03
check your crimp !!! then check your trouble ones for short cases--most dies do not have a TAPER CRIMP,,which you need
I use the barrel out of the pistol for a case gauge

joem
03-17-2016, 05:54
I have placed ones that drop in the cases gauge along side one that will not. I can see no difference or measure any difference. I can measure a slight bulge at the bottom just above the rim.

Major Tom
03-17-2016, 07:05
May be that the bad brass has been reloaded too often?

DaveL
03-17-2016, 07:35
I've had similar problems with other calibers (don't load 40S&W). Most of the time it's caused by over crimping.
Are you shooting a Glock? I've seen brass shot through a Glock with excessively bulged case bases.
To me Glock = no lead bullets (polygonal rifling), bulged cases, plastic frame with sheet metal rails and a rectangular firing pin that occasionally pops primers.
JMHO
Dave

joem
03-18-2016, 07:25
I'm shooting these in a CZ75. I may be picking up brass fired in a glock. With all the brass on the ground it's hardtop tell which ones are yours.

DaveL
03-18-2016, 08:35
I'm not sure about all Glock models but you can tell by the odd off center, rectangular firing pin hit if it was fired in a Glock. Anytime I see that type of primer strike the brass goes in the scrap pile for the very reason I don't want the problems you are having.
I seem to remember someone makes some kind of swaging die to bust the bulge on Glock fired cases.

Sunray
03-18-2016, 09:30
1986 or newer Lee dies sets come with a taper crimp.
What's your OAL? What bullet weight?

Rick
03-18-2016, 01:11
Redding push through GRX sizing die. Especially made for 40 cal and should solve your problems. They have a bottle adapter that will catch all your brass. Sinclair has a video on Brownells and its also probably on YouTube.

joem
03-19-2016, 07:39
I' loading 170 gr SWC's. It has to be I'm picking up range brass other my own . I have a brass catcher. Don't have the make at hand but it's a big net type that catches most of them if the port is close to the net. If I load FMJ's I have less problems but they cost way more.

joem
03-20-2016, 03:36
Loaded up 150 rounds I shot last Sunday. Only a very slight problem with 11 of them and a trip back through the decap die no pin and they dropped in the case gauge perfectly. My problem has to be picking up range brass not fired in my gun. I guess I'll have to use my brass catcher better.

XLF30
03-22-2016, 09:09
joem...try your sized, empty cases in the gage BEFORE you load them, to see if it's resizing or crimping that's the problem. You might have to just discard cases that won't size correctly and not waste time, powder, bullet, and primer on them before you discover they won't fit in the chamber. also, check and make sure the bullets are the correct diameter. I've got some mis-sized bullets from MO Bullet. Make sure you've got correct OAL; if too deep, the base of the bullet will bulge the lower part of the case.

joem
03-23-2016, 08:43
Dug some cases out of the scrap bucket. Used the tool to remove the bulge from cases. They fit the cases gauge perfectly. Next loading session I'll load a few up and see how they fit.

emmagee1917
03-23-2016, 09:58
Well , I don't know if your buying the $80 or $95 a 1,000 bullets , but Precission Delta has real FMJs starting at $115 a 1,000 in 2,000 lot orders . I use their 230gr .45 @ $125 a 1,000 in my Colts , Thompsons , etc.
Chris

bigedp51
04-30-2016, 10:49
1. A case gauge is minimum SAAMI dimensions so the reloads will fit any pistol, that's why they tell you the best gauge is your barrel.
2. The factory crimp die with the Lee 4 die pistol sets should not be used with cast bullets because the carbide ring will size cast bullets smaller.
3. Range pickup brass is a fact of life with competitive shooters and many of them use the Lee bulge buster or Redding push through GRX sizing die.

The Glock bulge problem was fixed with a Glock design change of their barrels and the ammunition companies making thicker cases.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/CaseSupport2-1_zpsb7ee6216.jpg

And the bulge problem isn't just with Glock .40 pistols.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/Support-vs-Not_zps86a3ae76.jpg

I have a Gen 3 Glock .40 and do not have a problem with "my" brass, "BUT" range pickup brass must be inspected carefully.

Below the "Glock bulge" is a generic term and any unsupported chamber will cause the case to bulge.

Be careful of cases that are badly bulged like below.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/glock-brass_zps1in2work.jpg

When these type cases are resized the case can split at the weakened point of the case.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/bulge%20section_zpsagynschq.jpg

I'm not bashful and use range pickup brass but I inspect each case and only use them with lite practice loads.

Make Right With a “.40 Lite”
http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/ammunition_40lite_091806/

joem
04-30-2016, 04:57
I had 11 out of 450 reloads that wouldn't fit the case gauge. A trip through the bulge buster fixed that. it's a bit of a PIA to check each one with the gauge but it's better then having one jammed in the pistol. Using the case gauge I know they will all chamber and fire.