PDA

View Full Version : Model 1873 Trapdoor Carbine (I Guess)

Old Shooter
03-31-2016, 06:41
I own Ser. # 250229 which is a carbine that appears to have been modified from a rifle. What is the story behind these rifles and were they recorded originally as carbines? I know there is not much value in this rifle but it is in great shape and fun to shoot.

Dick Hosmer
03-31-2016, 09:28
Yes, from the extant number records, it is virtually a certainty that you have a cut-down rifle. There really is no "story" behind such guns - and, no, never having been "carbines" they were not "recorded originally" as such. The mutilation (let's call a spade a spade) occurred after leaving the service.

There are three primary reasons for the shortening:

(1) Innocent - somebody just wanted a handier gun, quite possibly to hunt with, and put meat on his family's table. Where else could you get a high-power rifle for $1.25, except from government surplus?

(2) Delusional - there are some who think that if something looks enough like something else, it will somehow - in their mind - almost morph into that something else.

(3) Larcenous - carbines were made in considerably smaller quantities, have always been considered more "glamorous" (Custer, etc.) and real ones always bring more at sale than equivalent-conditioned rifles, therefore, if a rifle can be made into a carbine well enough to fool a rube, then some extra money was there for the taking. Many years ago (1970) when I started collecting, many people were quite forgiving of such shortened guns, thinking it was no big deal - but the times have changed. Much good information has been published, and today's collectors are much more discriminating.

You seem to be a realist, and are more interested in just having fun, and enjoying it for what it is - more power to you.

Old Shooter
04-01-2016, 11:06
Yes, from the extant number records, it is virtually a certainty that you have a cut-down rifle. There really is no "story" behind such guns - and, no, never having been "carbines" they were not "recorded originally" as such. The mutilation (let's call a spade a spade) occurred after leaving the service.

There are three primary reasons for the shortening:

(1) Innocent - somebody just wanted a handier gun, quite possibly to hunt with, and put meat on his family's table. Where else could you get a high-power rifle for $1.25, except from government surplus?

(2) Delusional - there are some who think that if something looks enough like something else, it will somehow - in their mind - almost morph into that something else.

(3) Larcenous - carbines were made in considerably smaller quantities, have always been considered more "glamorous" (Custer, etc.) and real ones always bring more at sale than equivalent-conditioned rifles, therefore, if a rifle can be made into a carbine well enough to fool a rube, then some extra money was there for the taking. Many years ago (1970) when I started collecting, many people were quite forgiving of such shortened guns, thinking it was no big deal - but the times have changed. Much good information has been published, and today's collectors are much more discriminating.

You seem to be a realist, and are more interested in just having fun, and enjoying it for what it is - more power to you.

Thanks so much for the time you put in to your reply -- could not be better said.

Old Shooter
04-01-2016, 11:26
Dick
I hope I'm doing this right to thank you for such a well composed reply to my post. This is all new to me and as the old saying goes-- it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
OLD SHOOTER

Dick Hosmer
04-01-2016, 12:26
You're very welcome!

John Sukey
04-01-2016, 01:17
I once had an early 1902 Bannermans catalog that advertised "sporterized" trapdoors. They chopped down a lot of rifles

remus
04-14-2016, 02:00
I've had a cut down rifle for over 20 years. It isn't a carbine, and wasn't projected as one. Had a full rifle at the time too. The cut down was just more fun to shoot, and was just as accurate as the longer gun. Shoot it and enjoy it, they are a blast.