PDA

View Full Version : Heres one for the experts---

dave
04-02-2016, 05:42
Saw a trapdoor at show to-day, seller said it had been officially modified in 1903, called it a 'bayonet practice rifle'. Barrel had been shortened, looked about 24 ". Two bands and a bayo similar to a later type with blade, mounted like an '03 rifle, under the barrel, no wood grips. Blade was covered in leather with a golf ball dia. disk on the end. Action had been made inoperative, latch handle removed, firing pin gone. Action could not even be opened.
Was it real? Rare? Did not look at price, no interest in it. Anyone interested let me know, I know seller from gun shows. Probably see him on 23rd at Novi.

Tom Trevor
04-02-2016, 05:50
They were made and the barrel in most was filled with lead for weight. Not a lot of collector interest except a hard core has to have it all might buy one. LSB auctions had one last month and it went in the 500-600 range. Hope this helps

Dick Hosmer
04-02-2016, 11:06
Proper term is "Fencing Musket". They were made up in a length and weight to approximate the new 1903 service rifle. Barrels were 24" long, and filled with lead. Bayonets were screwed to the barrel - holes extend into the bore. Projecting parts were removed, even though heavy gloves were to be worn when practicing with the piece. Definitely "real", but as my friend Tom has said, there is little demand, beyond trapdoor "nuts". There are three versions of the bayonet - M1906 is fully covered but blade does NOT twist - M1909 has a twisted, stiff blade with ONLY the tip covered - M1912 returns to full leather cover but its' twisted blade is MUCH more flexible. The 1906 straight bayonet version is VERY scarce, but the other items are fairly common.

dave
04-03-2016, 07:24
Thanks' for the answers, I was just curious and thought some one may be interested.