PDA

View Full Version : Navel Jelly use

RCK
04-05-2016, 06:14
Has anyone used navel jelly to remove severe rust from a M1903 barrel rifiling that was used extensively with corrosive blanks? If so what is the proper method to use it?

IditarodJoe
04-05-2016, 06:53
Personally, I would never use naval jelly (phosphoric acid) on a firearm in any manner. No matter what method is used to try to remove corrosion, the process will necessarily also involve the removal of some metal as well. Naval jelly would be extreme. Better to use methods that minimize damage to the underlying metal. Just how bad is this bore?

chuckindenver
04-05-2016, 07:06
Navel Jelly has no use on any gun, for any reason..

hot soapy water is the best way to remove crud from blank firing use

dave
04-05-2016, 09:38
I have used it for many years on certain gun parts to remove rust, never had a problem, but it will also remove blueing. Do not know about park. and would be very reluctant to use in a bore. The stuff you buy to-day is considerably weaker then years ago! Read the label, says what you can & cannot use it on.3506535066 This was pretty much pitted at top, Navel Jell is the only way to get down in those pits, except a wire wheel (not recommended)

Sunray
04-05-2016, 10:14
If a barrel is rusted to the point the rifling is damaged, naval jelly isn't going to fix it. Better to just change the barrel.
Bluing is rust. Parkerizing is not.
"...except a wire wheel (not recommended)..." A light touch with a fine, brass, wire wheel works. Still won't fix pitting though. Pitting is steel that's rusted gone.
Plain hot water is what you use after shooting corrosive ammo. Soap isn't necessary. However, neither will fix a corroded barrel.

chuckindenver
04-05-2016, 01:26
modern hot salts blue {black oxide} is not rust, it is a transfers coating, done with Sodium hydroxide, sodium nitrate, and water heated to get the Nitrate to coat the steel surface.
phosphate.. is also a transfers coating as well, parkerize is a brand name.. zinc, manganese and iron phoshate are the types of coatings available today,
acid deluted along with Zinc , manganese ect powder mixed with water , heated , the acid etches the surface so the powder can attach to the steel surface,

most of us in the gun world think bluing is special to guns... facts are its known in the real world as black oxide... and the gun part is a very small part of the industry..

dave
04-05-2016, 03:45
If a barrel is rusted to the point the rifling is damaged, naval jelly isn't going to fix it. Better to just change the barrel.
Bluing is rust. Parkerizing is not.
"...except a wire wheel (not recommended)..." A light touch with a fine, brass, wire wheel works. Still won't fix pitting though. Pitting is steel that's rusted gone.
Plain hot water is what you use after shooting corrosive ammo. Soap isn't necessary. However, neither will fix a corroded barrel.

Actually I do use a 'lite' touch with a wire wheel, but fine steel, sometimes. I find brass and bronze brushes, etc. transfer a yellowish tint to the steel even the hand brushes. I did not mention it 'cause I figured it would start a controversy.

Kragrifle
04-06-2016, 05:30
Naval Jelly is useful for removing parkerization from parts you are seeking to refinish.

Fred
04-07-2016, 08:09
Actually I do use a 'lite' touch with a wire wheel, but fine steel, sometimes. I find brass and bronze brushes, etc. transfer a yellowish tint to the steel even the hand brushes. I did not mention it 'cause I figured it would start a controversy.

That brass or bronze residue should then be simply wiped off using an oiled rag or it can even be washed off using hot soapy water.