PDA

View Full Version : 1903 stock cartouches

DaveL
04-08-2016, 12:30
Hello all,
I have a 1903 Springfield made in 1913 with a 9-19 barrel date with a type 4 stock. The stock has 4 stamps that I'm curious about.
My questions:
1) It has the P behind the trigger guard but it's in a square box instead of a circle. What's the difference?
2) It has S in a square just forward of the mag cutoff. Does that indicate a rebuild at Springfield Armory? If not, what does it mean?
3)Just forward of the S in a square, is SAA in a rectangle. I believe that means a rebuild by San Antonio Arsenal. Am I right? If that is right, is it possible to find out when it was done?
4) It also has a stamp below the safety which is a square with SA over what looks like (hard to tell) 8P0. Is that also a Springfield rebuild stamp? If not, What is it?
I've searched and searched the internet with very little luck. I'm hoping some of you Springfield experts can help me out.
DaveL

Emri
04-08-2016, 01:15
I don't know what a "type 4" stock is. From your description otherwise, I would to hazard to guess you have a rifle that has been re-built, overhauled, and consist of mixed parts.

Johnny P
04-08-2016, 01:49
I believe that San Antonio Arsenal used a P in a square for rebuild proofing.

The stock types came from J.C. Harrison.

DaveL
04-08-2016, 01:53
Emri,
All the metal parts are mostly correct for a 1913 manufactured '03 on this rifle.
I'm trying to find out about the stock now.
Here's the info on the early stock types:

DaveL
04-08-2016, 01:56
Thanks Jonny P,
Good info.
One down.

DaveL
04-08-2016, 03:12
Here are the later ones:

Rick the Librarian
04-09-2016, 06:33
Dave, it is much easier and less confusing to simply describe the stocks. The "Types" have no basis in fact, except to a couple of authors whose works are less than perfect. I know they use it to describe M1 carbines, but it isn't particularly well-thought of here.

DaveL
04-09-2016, 02:09
Thanks Rick,
Good to know.
I'm not sure how this thread turned into a stock "type" discussion. As per my original post, I just wanted to know about the cartouches on my stock. Johnny P explained the P in a square instead of a circle above.
I'd still like to know what the other 3, described in my original post above, mean.
Dave

Mike D
04-09-2016, 03:05
Dave - I'm pretty sure your "8PO" is actually "SPG", for Stanley P. Gibbs. He was an inspector at Springfield Armory. His is a rebuild stamp used during the '30's. The other three stamps are all San Antonio Arsenal. The "S" in square would be the inspectors initial at SAA.

Mike

Rick the Librarian
04-09-2016, 03:13
Thanks Rick,
Good to know.
I'm not sure how this thread turned into a stock "type" discussion. As per my original post, I just wanted to know about the cartouches on my stock.Dave

Just a "by the way" that might make it easier the next time.

John Beard
04-09-2016, 07:28
Hello all,
I have a 1903 Springfield made in 1913 with a 9-19 barrel date with a type 4 stock. The stock has 4 stamps that I'm curious about.
My questions:
1) It has the P behind the trigger guard but it's in a square box instead of a circle. What's the difference?
2) It has S in a square just forward of the mag cutoff. Does that indicate a rebuild at Springfield Armory? If not, what does it mean?
3)Just forward of the S in a square, is SAA in a rectangle. I believe that means a rebuild by San Antonio Arsenal. Am I right? If that is right, is it possible to find out when it was done?
4) It also has a stamp below the safety which is a square with SA over what looks like (hard to tell) 8P0. Is that also a Springfield rebuild stamp? If not, What is it?
I've searched and searched the internet with very little luck. I'm hoping some of you Springfield experts can help me out.
DaveL

Answers are as follows:

(1) A "P" in a square signifies overhaul by San Antonio Arsenal. Each arsenal had a peculiar style of proof mark.
(2a) No.
(2b) "S" is the last initial of the final inspector at San Antonio Arsenal.
(3a) Yes.
(3b) Perhaps.
(4) Yes.

Hope this helps.

J.B.