PDA

View Full Version : WTS: RtL's May book sale - BOOK PRICES REDUCED!!

Rick the Librarian
05-09-2016, 06:07
All remaining books REDUCED by an average of 25%. All books not listed are sold or sold, pending payment.

Gathered together are an outstanding group of books on World War II as well as a few on other wars and topics. For those of you who are unreconstructed Rebels or die-hard Yankees, we have a group of Civil War books. Take a look for “bundle” prices on multiple books for sale on one category.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) Books are for sale on several forums. When two people offer to buy the same book or books, the earlier email/PM is considered first. I try to update this list to show purchased books at least once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks”:

1. “British Dreadnought vs. German Dreadnought” by Mark Stille (G) This book tells the story of the British and German battleships of these two great fleets - from their development as the first generation of fully- armored warships - to their combat experiences. The differing weapon systems and crew training. One of the Osprey “Duel” series. Trade ppk, near new, $7.50 REDUCED to $5.65

2. “Halsey’s Typhoon” by Bob Drury SPF

II. World War II:

1. “The Road to Berlin” by John Erickson. Completing the most comprehensive and authoritative study ever written of the Soviet-German war, John Erickson in this volume tells the vivid and compelling story of the Red Army's epic struggle to drive the Germans from Russian soil. Near new, $4.95 REDUCED to $3.75

2. “The Pacific Campaign: The US Japanese Naval War” by Dan van der Vat. (G) Drawing on neglected archives of firsthand accounts from both sides, van der Vat interweaves eyewitness testimony with sharp, analytical narration to provide a penetrating reappraisal of the strategic and political background of both the Japanese and American forces. Trade ppk, near new, $4.50 REDUCED to $3.35

3. “Sea of Thunder” by Evan Thomas. (G) The author relates its events through the actions of four naval officers, Americans Admiral William Halsey and Commander Ernest Evans and Japanese admirals Takeo Kurita and Matome Ugaki. As their stories unfold, Thomas discloses the development and corporate cultures of two navies openly preparing to fight and finally getting down to it in 1941. The climax comes at Leyte Gulf, where Halsey's overaggressive tactics exposed the invasion fleet off Leyte to Kurita's surface force. Ex. to near new, $7.00 REDUCED to $5.25

4. “The Terrible Hours” by Peter Maas. (G) Maas, best known for his chronicling of the urban underworld (Underboss, Serpico, etc.), takes readers underwater for a thrilling account of the world's first rescue of a submarine. Before WWII, submariners were second-class citizens. Worse, until Charles "Swede" Momsen came along, it was standard procedure to treat downed subs as irretrievable. Ppk. Ex. $3.50 REDUCED to $2.65

5. “Flags of Our Fathers” by James Bradley. Bradley’s father was one of those who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. Bradley not only explores his father, but the other men who participated. Trade ppk., near new, $4.50 REDUCED to $3.35

6. “The Longest Battle: The War at Sea, 1939-1945”. Richard Hough. (G) An outstanding naval historian, Hough, through a brilliant mixture of narrative history and personal accounts--collected over almost 30 years of interviewing combatants from both sides--a very powerful, human story emerges of the danger, elation, and miseries of six years of "the longest battle" in the war. Trade ppk. $4.50 REDUCED to $3.35

7. “China-Burma-India” by Don Moser. A good overview of an often forgotten theater of WWII. In many respects the campaign was similar to others throughout the Pacific. However, the China, India, Burma theater had it's own unique problems. For example, supplying troops was in itself a battle given the terrain, rogue Burmese guerilla units, questionable Chinese loyalty, and the unforgiving monsoon season and extreme heat. One of the Time-Life series with excellent illustrations. VG., $7.95 REDUCED to $5.95

III. American Civil War:

1. Two Volume Biography of U.S. Grant. This was the last two volumes of noted Civil War historian Bruce Catton who writes history like poetry and is best known for “A Stillness at Appomattox”.
a. --“Grant Moves South” – campaigns from 1861 until he took over the federal armies in 1864. VG, plastic covered, $5.50 REDUCED to $4.15
b. “Grant Takes Command” – from March, 1864 until shortly after the end of the war. Book is VG-Ex. but d/j is badly torn. $5.95 REDUCED to $4.50
--Buy BOTH for $9.00 REDUCED to $7.00

2. SPECIAL! “The Killer Angels” by Michael Shaara in cassette TAPES! The whole novel UNABRIDGED! All tapes play well. In nice collector binder $10.50 REDUCED to $7.85

IV. General Military History:

1. “Great Naval Disasters: US Naval Accidents”. Kit Bonner. Contains accounts of raging fires on the USS Enterprise, USS Oriskany, USS Forrestal, and USS Constellation. 19 stories in all, with many photos. Trade ppk. $5.50 REDUCED to $4.15

2. “All My Love: Korean War Letters” by J.W. London. (G) Letters written by a young destroyer officer to his wife during the Korean War. A nice description of life on a Korean War navy ship. Ex – near new trade ppk. 400+ pp. $4.95 REDUCED to $3.75

3. “Whips to Walls: Naval Discipline from Flogging to the Progressive Era” by Rodney Watterson. This gives fresh insight into an under-appreciated period of naval history―the transition of naval discipline from mid-nineteenth century flogging to a much-needed naval prison system, including the ambitious experiment in Progressive reform at Portsmouth prison. The author has thoroughly researched and clearly documented the Navy’s journey between these two extremes in naval discipline. NEW! Very uncommon - $12.95 REDUCED to $9.75

11mm
05-09-2016, 04:08
Under section IV, I will take 1 and 2 as a bundle. Please let me know the the total including postage.

Rick the Librarian
05-09-2016, 07:21
PM sent -- thanks.

RtL

Rick the Librarian
05-16-2016, 05:07
BMP