PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand rebarreling Question

tbryan
05-16-2016, 11:37
I bought a 43 date Springfield a couple of months ago , and finally shot it the other day. After looking at the ejected cases I did something I should have done before purchase. I got a set of head space gauges and checked it. It would close on a no go gauge with no resistance. New barrel time I guess. I would like to put a Springfield bbl back on it, but I suppose it would be a roll of the dice on good head space there. Has anyone here had experience with the CMP service for rebarreling ? Any other suggestions ?

Tom

barretcreek
05-16-2016, 11:53
Find somebody local who focuses on Garands and put on a Criterion.

IditarodJoe
05-16-2016, 12:16
A No-Go gauge is not what you want for your purposes. Have you checked it with a Field headspace gauge?

nf1e
05-16-2016, 12:35
Rgr. check with field guage before making rash decisions. A new SA M1 barrel will require reaming for headspace.

tbryan
05-16-2016, 02:32
The primers were backing out way too far for me. I believe that the CMP sells Criterions, and will install them also. I was hoping to hear from someone that had used them
Also I was referring to an original Springfield bbl. as I would like to keep it correct. I don't have a pull through reamer, so barreling it here would entail a lot of on and off and I don't think I will wear out the bbl out in my lifetime, hence don't want to buy one for one barreling job. A used bbl would have to line up pretty close to fit right and I don't know If I want to risk buying one off Gunbroker that I couldn't return.

gmg1183
05-16-2016, 04:36
Would a different bolt make a difference?

tbryan
05-16-2016, 05:09
I wondered if another bolt would correct it. I would have to find some and try them until I got one right. Kind of like buying a correct bbl and hoping that it would not be too deep in the chamber.

StockDoc
05-16-2016, 06:45
Put the Criterion barrel on it. I doubt a different bolt would help if the primers are backing out, I believe the -12sa or the -14sa bolt is longer, don't know by how much
. You could go to the expense of the bolt and still have it short. So the money into barrel, I feel is more fiscally sound.

IditarodJoe
05-16-2016, 08:09
I've a few questions, Tom. First, do you know the throat erosion and muzzle wear readings on the current barrel? Second, what is the part number on the bolt that's in the rifle now? Finally, when you were getting backed out primers what sort of ammunition were you firing?

psteinmayer
05-17-2016, 04:42
In addition to IdidarodJoe's question... Were these factory or reloads... and if reloads, were they loaded for hunting? Garand rifles shouldn't shoot a hot load as you can damage things like the OP rod. I agree on the Criterion barrel... they are no less correct than anything else. Remember that if a Garand went through an arsenal rebuild, it might not have had the same parts installed, including a new barrel anyway. Criterion makes excellent barrels. CMP armorers can install, ream, and properly headspace it for you, and when done, it will function like brand new! If you don't want to have the CMP do it, then you can take it to Dean's or Shuff's instead!

us019255
05-17-2016, 06:55
"... I don't have a pull through reamer, ..." You should be able to rent one.

tbryan
05-17-2016, 07:42
I don't have the gauges to check wear on the throat or muzzle. The last 2 inches of the bore does't look too good, almost like a lot of cleaning rod wear. Another reason that I was planning to rebarrel. The loads were fine for a M1. H4895 and a Sierra 168. My machinist doesn't have a field gauge , only go and no go. The biggest worry I have is the primers backing out with medium loads.
I might just get my machinist to rebarrel it here. It will just take longer. But he is very good and it will save me money.

Sunray
05-17-2016, 09:36
"...No-Go gauge is not what you want..." You use the No-Go first. Then, if the bolt closes completely(the amount of resistance is irrelevant) on it, you check with the Field.
Did you take the extractor out when you checked the headspace?
CMP wants $179.95 to install a Criterion barrel. You must be a customer on file in the CMP system with the same eligibility requirements as for rifle purchases. If that's not you, Criterion has an 'Industry Partners' page on their site. Smithies assorted and other people who sell Criterion stuff.
CMP's site says, "To place an order, please call (256) 835-8455, ext. 513, 514 or 540..." And "No rifles are to be shipped in before being issued an RA number." Only 15 rifles per week too.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-gunsmithing/

tbryan
05-17-2016, 12:04
Thanks Sunray. Good info about CMP. I took the bolt down prior to checking the head space. Holding the bolt forward with the gauge in the chamber, you could hear it rattle. I am leaning toward a new barrel, and having my machinist do the work here. The bbl on it now is a Springfield 1953.
Thanks for everyone else for their comments.

Tom

tbryan
06-17-2016, 11:41
Well, got a field gauge and tried it. It would almost close on it, but not quite. Since I want accuracy, I bit the bullet and ordered a new barrel from CMP. Not bad, 189.95 delivered. I am very curious to see how it will do. I will post the results when I shoot it.

mbgarand
06-17-2016, 01:42
Obtain USGI gages or go to Clymers. Go- No Go and Field. Foresters are not the greatest Check the Field Gage before you do anything !!!!!

I do not know why some here state that Unissued USGI barrels will be required to be reamed. In 17 years of M1 barreling I have had NO Unissued USGI barrels requiring to be reamed!

During this 17 years I have had to send out NON-USGI Barrels to be reamed NOT USGI !

Debbie
MB Company

cnjcomp
06-19-2016, 03:11
Usually the longest of the bolts is a -2.