PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 94 30WCF

mp40man
05-29-2016, 10:33
I picked up an old Winchester at auction which numbers to 1942. It has honest wear from being in a scabbard as a working rifle and the action works just fine and the bore is surprisingly nice with very good rifling. I removed the butt plate for a soaking in Kroil as it had some light surface rust. To my surprise there was a note under the butt plate as old as the gun written on an old railroad piece of paper showing a transfer from one person to another. I contacted the auction folks and discovered it came from an old family collection out west. My gunsmith has it now as I always have any old gun inspected for safety purposes...I'm just itching to put some rounds through it. Here's a few pics and all comments are welcome. Rich. 3590235903359043590535906

dave
05-29-2016, 03:08
what exactly does that paper read--- 27th what? (last line of top section).

Sunray
05-30-2016, 10:10
"...there was a note..." Hand written bill of sale. Provenance up the ying-yang. Even though nobody has ever heard of Bill or Howard.
Light surface rust is dealt with using 0000 steel wool and light oil. Takes the rust off without bothering the remaining finish. Faster to use a light touch with a brass wire wheel in a bench grinder.

mp40man
05-30-2016, 03:47
what exactly does that paper read--- 27th what? (last line of top section). Hey Dave, I have no idea..whatever 27th the best or whatever the word is.:confused: Maybe has something to do with the railroad co the note is written on..Burlington Northern? Sure would like to find out. Thank you for the interest. Rich.