PDA

View Full Version : rolling blocks

Mark Daiute
06-09-2016, 02:17
Forgive the non-trapdoor post. Here goes:

If anyone is able and willing to take the time to photograph the breechblocks of a New York State Rolling Block and a Springfield Rolling Block, side by side, that is something I would love to see.

Thanks!

Mark

Dick Hosmer
06-09-2016, 05:42
What are you after, Mark?

Did you want to see if both locking actions used identical parts? I believe they are very "close", but not "drop-in" replacements. I could certainly be wrong.

There are at least four different SA Rem blocks - and I suspect there are several more sub-variants that I've failed to differentiate. Numerous different hammers, too. Only one SA block (from the 1871 Army) shares the locking action of the NYS model, and I would suspect they would be very similar. The locking action also depends on a unique sear and trigger combination, which should also be very similar to each other (1871 vs. NYS) but do differ from the plain versions.

I cannot help you (do not have a NYS model) but someone from the Remington Collectors Association website might be able to. Ed Hull would be the guy, and I know he has the specimens. Question would be whether he already has such photos - or would consent to the dismounting of same.

Frank DeHaas' book on single shot actions would also give you more graphic info, but not photos.

Mark Daiute
06-09-2016, 06:50
I wanted to see the hammers side by side to see how much more the hammer on the NY rolling block sticks up since they all look tall to me.

Should have been clearer, do not wish to see them dismantled, just side by side, in situ so to speak.

Thanks, Richard, as always!

Mark

Dick Hosmer
06-09-2016, 08:03
OK, that's simpler. I'd GUESS the the hammer difference must be on the order of 3/8" or so, at least. They really do stick up.

1mark
06-10-2016, 07:13
Mark, this site may help. At the top of the page got to models / parts
http://www.rollingblockparts.com/

Mark Daiute
06-10-2016, 10:26
ok, got it, thanks, the hammer on the NY State Rolling block has just a hint of a reverse-curve at the very end.

Thanks, all.

Best,

Mark