PDA

View Full Version : Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Match

psteinmayer
06-17-2016, 08:30
Howdy all.

The US National Matches are coming up soon. For those of you unaware... this year for the first time, there will be a Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Match - open to U.S. Krags and early 1903 Rifles only (no 1903A1 or 1903A3). The match will take place on the morning of Sunday, 14 August 2016 on the Viale Range at Camp Perry in Port Clinton Ohio.

I will be there with my son and Madsenshooter. I want to extend an invitation to any Krag shooters who would like to squad with us. I think it would be a great sight to see a bunch of Krags together on the firing line! As the date gets closer, we can make arrangements of where and when to meet (Madsenshooter and I usually meet at the entrance gate to the Viale Range).

Hope to see a lot of my Krag brothers there!

Fred
06-17-2016, 08:38
Man, that's fantastic!

Rick the Librarian
06-17-2016, 09:38
Not trying to cause a dispute where none is intended, but will those "early" M1903s include low-numbered ones? Just curious.

psteinmayer
06-17-2016, 10:44
I would assume. Given the discussions on the 1903/1903A1/1903A3 thread about the recent destruction of a low numbered 03, I'm not sure many would be willing to shoot them anytime soon!

Dan Shapiro
06-17-2016, 11:07
I seriously doubt the organizers will allow 'low-numbered' rifles.

Dick Hosmer
06-17-2016, 11:13
Not trying to cause a dispute where none is intended, but will those "early" M1903s include low-numbered ones? Just curious.

Hey Rick, this is REALLY premature, but would you ever consider a trip to Perry? We'd probably want to meet in SLC or something similar (haven't even looked at a map yet) though that would not be an absolute requirement. Obviously not this year, and probably not next, but how about at least thinking of 2018? We could visit Al Frasca for sure and possibly even RIA as well.

psteinmayer
06-17-2016, 11:35
Hey Rick, this is REALLY premature, but would you ever consider a trip to Perry? We'd probably want to meet in SLC or something similar (haven't even looked at a map yet) though that would not be an absolute requirement. Obviously not this year, and probably not next, but how about at least thinking of 2018? We could visit Al Frasca for sure and possibly even RIA as well.

If you do... please let me know, as I only live about an hour and a half from Perry. I would love to meet up for a coffee and some great conversation!

Dick Hosmer
06-17-2016, 12:14
If you do... please let me know, as I only live about an hour and a half from Perry. I would love to meet up for a coffee and some great conversation!

Absolutely!!!

Fred
06-17-2016, 12:16
Wow. That'd be fun for you guys. Wish I lived close by.

Dick Hosmer
06-17-2016, 12:45
Good Lord, Fred, Rick and I would be coming from Seattle and Sacramento respectively. Nebraska is almost next door (relatively speaking) - but it IS on our route - we could probably get together coming or going.

butlersrangers
06-17-2016, 01:30
If you Gentlemen made the trek from out west, to visit a future Camp Perry match, I would certainly prepare and gear up to compete! (As well as, offer a place to stay in Southeastern Michigan).

Hey, I am assembling a S.A. (1935 dated) Springfield in an "S" Stock. Does that qualify as a 1903 Springfield (and not an '03-A1)?

psteinmayer
06-17-2016, 04:04
Chuck (Butlersrangers) only lives around a hour and a half north of me too, and we meet up from time to time too. Maybe if Dick and Rick plan a trek out this way, we could get some of us close out this way together and share a meal and some good stories. If Perry is in this equation, there are some nice places to eat around there... and we could take San Juan (Via the Perry range) together!

Rick the Librarian
06-17-2016, 04:06

Let me chew on that and check with my social secretary (AKA "wife") about that. Thanks for the suggestion!

butlersrangers
06-17-2016, 07:15
Nice Beach at Port Clinton. Nice Wineries out on the Lake Erie Islands!

psteinmayer
06-18-2016, 03:50
Madsenshooter usually shoots Perry with me, and I'm sure he would join us too.

madsenshooter
06-22-2016, 10:22
I seriously doubt the organizers will allow 'low-numbered' rifles.

No low numbered, according to CMP rules.

psteinmayer
06-23-2016, 04:03
Hey, I am assembling a S.A. (1935 dated) Springfield in an "S" Stock. Does that qualify as a 1903 Springfield (and not an '03-A1)?

I'm not sure if this would be allowed (a 1935 dated). The Roosevelt match is honoring TR as the father of the CMP and the National Matches. Krags and very early 1903s were the only rifles in service when the NM began, which (I believe) is the reason they are the only rifles allowed to enter this match. As Madesnshooter stated, low numbered 03s are not allowed, which limits the 03 rifles to high numbered 1903s only. Of course, this is speculation on my part, as the details have not yet been published beyond the allowing of Krags and 1903s only, and the exclusion of 1903A1, 1903A3, and 1903A4 rifles.

madsenshooter
06-23-2016, 11:21
I'd email the CMP to find out BR.

Fred
06-24-2016, 04:46
Do airlines allow a person to transport a rifle within the cargo hold?

Dick Hosmer
06-24-2016, 05:13
Generally I think the answer is "yes", but I'd suspect that would vary from airline to airline, and perhaps even from airport to airport, and would suggest that everything be clarified, preferably in writing, before attempting to do same. One thing for sure is that possession of the item would need to be legal at both ends of the trip. Don't bring your AR-15 to CA, for example. I'd also think that the rifle had better be in a locked container, not readily available, and that no ammunition be included in the same container.

PhillipM
06-25-2016, 06:58
I was listening on the radio to two experts from the local pistol range talk about air travel. My ears perked up when they said ammunition had to be new and in its factory box. Be sure to verify that before you try to take handloads on a plane. It may be better to ship them to a friend local to Perry.

I've shot M1 matches in Oklahoma with a guy from the bay area of California and I know he flew with his M1

psteinmayer
06-25-2016, 05:27
Last year, Madsenshooter and I shot Vintage next to a couple guys from Ireland, and they brought their Enfield's and the appropriate ammo. As I understand, you can even have a Handgun in your checked luggage as long as it's disabled (trigger lock), secured, and most importantly... declared!