PDA

View Full Version : Value of old FA 45-70 ammo?

Rob W.
06-19-2016, 11:00
An old (93) WWII vet I know has a collection of items from an 1880s cavalry man including a trapdoor rifle and carbine and Colt 45, cartridge belts and even some Indian arrows etc. Unfortunately, the U.S. stamp has been removed from all of the firearms😱. He set aside a box of ammo from Frankford Armory for me and I was wondering what would be a fair price to pay him. I don't have any pics, but when I looked at them a few years ago, all of the boxes had been opened and weren't in great shape. Headstamps were in the 1889 range. Also, any idea of the same for any of the old 45 Colt ammo from the same era - also opened? I figured it would be neat to have a box that old for display. Thanks for any help.

Dick Hosmer
06-19-2016, 02:19
Without seeing the actual labels, and condition of the boxes, it is hard to say. Are they full, and do headstamps match each other as well as the box date? In other words, is it a box that is original but was unfortunately opened, or is it simply a repository for random old FA rounds? If the former, I'd say they should be worth at least $100-$150 apiece. If you could supply some photos, I could give a better answer.

Sealed FA boxes of .50-70, from the early 1870s, are NOT moving, on Gunbroker, at the high $400s.

Rob W.
06-19-2016, 08:19
Thanks Dick. I haven't seen everything in a few years since I helped him do an inventory. Pretty sure the boxes were complete with original ammo - just opened. Same with the 45 Colt. I'm not sure why they opened all of the boxes. I think the guns are all getting distributed to the kids but he is keeping one box of ammo for me.

Sportsdad60
06-20-2016, 02:37
I recently sold 4 unfired OPENED boxes .45-70 loads from the 1920's era for $40 a box on Armslist. I still have some but intend to keep the rest.

Dan Shapiro
06-23-2016, 07:38
You can check the link for a rough estimate, just select and click the link for pricing..........
HTH

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.com/06_ammunition/ammunition_01.htm

Dick Hosmer
06-23-2016, 10:52
An EXCELLENT reference source, though his pricing tends towards the high end. While I have amassed a fairly decent assortment of boxes/ammo over the last almost 50 years, there are a few items there which I drool over, but just have not (so far) been able to convince myself to 'pull the trigger'.

I'll regret it for sure, just like not picking up a Parkhurst Krag clip, or RIA Experimental Prairie Belt from S&S, for peanuts, back in the day. Did finally get an RIA belt (#2 of the 100 made) as part of an estate, but it wasn't cheap.

Rob W.
06-27-2016, 10:56
I followed two auctions on Gunbroker that closed this weekend which are more of an apples to apples comparison of what I will be buying. They are 45-70 Frankford Arsenal cartridges from the same time period (ca 1890).
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563371339 48 rds for $63 - no box, and
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/564643003 13 rds in a box - no bids at $50

Dick Hosmer
06-27-2016, 01:14
Both would have been considered cheap not that long ago. Hard to find original rounds for less than $2 apiece.

Reinforces my comment about Ken's level of pricing - he appears to be somewhat above the market. One big plus though, his stuff is always prime quality, and very accurately described.