PDA

View Full Version : Inland Carbine worth??

Dick Hosmer
06-22-2016, 10:56
I asked a friend for a generic non-collector grade carbine for use as a home-defense backup - he has several - and he came back with an Inland which he had assembled from parts, including a "brand new" barrel (even though it has an import stamp - is that possible?) for $800, including one magazine.

Is that reasonable?

I think it is pretty high. Of course, I can remember when they were $59.95 through the DCM, so my mind is forever poisoned. Thanks in advance.

The guy really is a friend - if perhaps a bit overly proud of this carbine - and has always paid my asking price for trapdoors and Krags without any quibbling, so I'm in no position to haggle; it will have to be a "yes" or "no" response.

Thanks in advance.

IditarodJoe
06-22-2016, 11:11
Sounds high to me too Dick, although it would depend on some of the specific parts that are on it and overall condition. I guess someone will eventually ask so it might as well be me . . . An $800 M1 carbine for a home defense backup gun??? Why? Wouldn't a Mossberg 500 at half the price likely be a better choice? Or if you need a little more reach, maybe a good used .30-30 lever gun? Just curious.

Allen
06-22-2016, 11:11
Without getting into detail of parts, pictures and the import stamped barrel it sounds a little high to me too. I would think around $500-600 for the considerations you have listed. Also, since new barrels are short chambered and have to be reamed, I would be concerned about the headspace unless your friend is good at what he does.

Dick Hosmer
06-22-2016, 02:26
Thanks for the help.

As to the HS, the barrel was installed by a proper gunsmith, and has been successfully test-fired.

My friend tells me he "had to pay a lot" for the barrel, so that, and the gunsmith's fee, are not helping the price any. He's a very nice old codger, but set in his ways and method of dealing, and VERY "frugal". If he spent money (even if same were ill-advised) he expects to recoup it. The carbine isn't going anywhere - he really doesn't want to sell it - only offered it because I asked.

Think I'll pass - I have NO desire to start collecting these, or even to worry about having a "right" one. Perhaps a Universal?

5MadFarmers
06-22-2016, 02:26
I asked a friend for a generic non-collector grade carbine for use as a home-defense backup - he has several - and he came back with an Inland which he had assembled from parts, including a "brand new" barrel (even though it has an import atamp - is that possible?) for $800, including one magazine.

Is that reasonable?

No.

including a "brand new" barrel (even though it has an import atamp - is that possible?)

No. They stamp firearms on import. Loose barrels were never stamped from anything I've ever seen. Without the receiver they're just another metal pipe. Firearms, not parts, need to meet the law. A receiver is a firearm. I wouldn't say he's being dishonest - it may have come to him that way. I would say it's not logical so he's hoping that what he knows is wrong isn't.

I asked a friend for a generic non-collector grade carbine for use as a home-defense backup

An M1 carbine is a miserable excuse for a home defense weapon. Buy a cheap 12 gage shotgun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/565317130

Something like that. Doesn't take much for aiming in the dark. The ratcheting noise tends to make people aware that bad things are going to happen to them. If you ever have to use it we'll not see press reports of some old dude using a "Military Assault Rifle!!!!" to meet home invaders. Instead it'll be some old dude with a shotgun and thus not newsworthy.

Allen
06-22-2016, 03:33
"Perhaps a Universal? "

NO !!!!

The early Universals were OK but most of them are the newer style with some very poor engineering. Best to stay away from all of the Universals. For what they sell for you can buy a USGI with the re-import stamp and have a nice reliable weapon.

Tuna
06-22-2016, 05:19
A carbine is a miserable excuse for home defense? Your joking right? IF you live away from your closest neighbors and use a good soft point factory round it doesn't get much better. The carbine round is a penetrator and it will go through walls like crazy. But it will also do the same thing to varmints on four or two legs. A good used USGI carbine is hard to beat. Stay away for the vast majority of commercial carbines as they don't live up to the reputation of a real one.

5MadFarmers
06-22-2016, 07:41
A carbine is a miserable excuse for home defense? Your joking right?

No, I'm quite serious.

IF you live away from your closest neighbors

Why the restriction? Let's add another. "If there are never any family or friends in your house."

The shotgun is the superior tool for home defense and costs less in the bargain. He's looking at buying something. If he already had a carbine that is a different question. Whether the cost of buying the shotgun, assuming he had a carbine, would be worthwhile in that situation is open to question.

But that's not the reality of this. He doesn't have a carbine.

Buy a shotgun if you're after home defense.

us019255
06-23-2016, 07:09
A carbine is a miserable excuse for home defense? Your joking right? I'm with Tuna. While there is little wrong with a shotgun, except that it has a very small magazine, takes a long time to reload, has a really bad kick with buck shot, does not have sights and spreads a big pattern as the range gets longer, a pistol and a carbine makes more sense to me.

Seriously, both work and the choice is a matter of personal preference. My go to defense long gun is a carbine. Note there are also the increased risk of being disarmed when employing a long gun at the bad breath ranges often encountered in home defense.

Tuna
06-23-2016, 03:07
Any shotgun round worth it's salt is #4 buck or higher. Any good buckshot will penetrate walls including outside walls. I also have a shotgun near by with #4 buck along with a carbine loaded with 110 gr. soft point ammo. Odds are it will be the carbine I use first and it will ruin some ones day for sure.

Now as to an import marked carbine. They are running in the $800 range in many areas of the country. Others less and if it's what some consider to be one of those special types (Winchester or Rock-Ola) then even more then the $800.

Dick Hosmer
06-23-2016, 03:32
Interesting viewpoints all. Thank you. First choice is my .40 Glock, but have always wanted a carbine - just waited too long. Have a shotgun already.

We do have nearby neighbors, so penetration is a consideration. My wife will be shooting along with me, at my side or my back, as required.

PhillipM
06-23-2016, 04:26
I ditched the shotgun and drug one of my carbines out of the safe when I got a 115# girlfriend. Excellent handling, vastly larger magazine, and the new Hornady defense rounds are impressive. My shotgun is back doing duty for squirrels and such.

Garden Valley
06-23-2016, 04:32
Of course, I can remember when they were $59.95 through the DCM, so my mind is forever poisoned. Thanks in advance.

Oh, goodness! You don't remember far enough back. The DCM sold them for $20.00, not $59.95. Now your mind is even more poisoned!

IditarodJoe
06-23-2016, 05:04
Out where we live, my wife and I aren't generally concerned about wall penetration as long as each of us knows where the other one is. Truth is, on any given day we're far more likely to need to use a house gun to dispatch a problem animal than an intruder, but I'd sooner have a shotgun in either case (although my 9mm Sig is virtually always within reach as well).

A while back, I got to thinking about what it would be like to discharge a 12 ga. inside a small room. Once, many years ago, I had to fire a .45 ACP inside a large enclosed space without hearing protection and it was truly not fun. Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do, but it occurred to me that the ideal house gun might actually be a suppressed AR style rifle chambered in .300 Blackout firing subsonic ammunition. Not being a fan of the black rifle, I don't actually know whether subsonic .300 BLK would even cycle an AR or not, but it seems like it would sure be less damaging to your hearing.

dave
06-24-2016, 06:14
Why does every one say a 12 ga. for a house gun? A 410 with buck is all you need, unless you are worried about 1000# grizzly's. Even a 20 would be over gunned. And be sure its a pump, that sound of 'racking' will scare the sh*t out of anyone!

PhillipM
06-24-2016, 06:56
... Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do, but it occurred to me that the ideal house gun might actually be a suppressed AR style rifle chambered in .300 Blackout firing subsonic ammunition. Not being a fan of the black rifle, I don't actually know whether subsonic .300 BLK would even cycle an AR or not, but it seems like it would sure be less damaging to your hearing.

300 blk subsonic will not cycle in an AR without a supressor.

joem
06-24-2016, 07:29
IMHO $800.00 is a bit too high. It sounds more like a $500.00 to $600.00 at most. A few years ago I bought a Inland (import marked) for $240.00. The stock was a little rough but it shoots pretty good. For HD I'd vote pump shotgun like Ithaca. Win 97 riot if you can find one is also a good choice.

Bob - The Beagle Master
07-25-2016, 10:30
You do not want a long gun for home defense. Try holding a rifle or a shotgun while dialing 911. Best bet is a .357 magnum revolver because a) revolvers don't jam or misfeed and b) you can hold them with one hand and dial 911 with the other.

Johnny P
07-25-2016, 11:22
Must be something like the .44 Magnum cartridge. In a rifle it is a miserable excuse for a hunting gun, but chamber a .44 Magnum in a revolver and it becomes a deadly killing machine.

The M1 Carbine is a great little home defense gun if you want to go that route.

Dolt
09-24-2016, 02:03
Must be something like the .44 Magnum cartridge. In a rifle it is a miserable excuse for a hunting gun, but chamber a .44 Magnum in a revolver and it becomes a deadly killing machine.

The M1 Carbine is a great little home defense gun if you want to go that route.

44 magnum a miserable excuse for a hunting gun (say in a Marlin carbine 240 gr bullet at 1700 fps) but it becomes a deadly killing machine in a hard to control handgun with less ballistics and fewer shots? Am I missing something here?

I have both and the lever action Marlin will shoot rings around my Smith 29 all day long and is much more controllable for follow up shots. Also, check out the blast from a 6" bbl in lowlight.

bonnie
09-24-2016, 06:05
An M1 Carbine, a AR15 rifle, pistol or shotgun are all good home defense firearms. Though cocking a pump shotgun to intimidate bad guys is a poor tactical move in my opinion. You are giving away position, any surprise you might have, and you are counting on having time to chamber a round. Time you may not have.

I have a number of years experience doing high risk warrant service, "No knocks". Most residential home entry doors are pretty much nothing to get through. We could force entry, clear and secure an average size home in 10 seconds, more or less. Awaken from sleep by load crashing noises, yelling, gun lights in their faces, their senses overwhelmed, people freeze and can't respond. I have secured bad guys laying in bed with a gun but they could not comprehend what was going on and were unable to act. Very few ever had the wherewithal to resist.

Home defense requires a loaded gun, proficiency with that gun, and a contingency plan already made, knowing the unexpected will happen. I have cleared my house numerous times. I have several corners I can use for cover and concealment and I know the fields of fire. At night a loaded 40 cal. Glock with night sights, flashlight, cell phone, house and car keys and alarm fob are on the night stand. The house alarm is set for no delay. My wife is aware and what I expect her to do if necessary. My entry doors can be forced but not easily and not without some time involved. Time I need on my side.
I was a Boy Scout and I have always followed the motto.

wd4ngb
10-20-2016, 11:42
I carried a chopped M2 Carbine in Vietnam and loved it. Recently picked up a Inland Advisor Carbine Pistol to make a clone of my Nam gun. I think it will be perfect for a backup home defense and shtf gun