PDA

View Full Version : Micro Bullet Seating die

JohnMOhio
07-18-2016, 04:48
I have been thinking about getting one of these dies for my AR 15. Have any of you hand loaders found it made a difference in your AR's accuracy?

Another question, have any of you experienced the "doughnut hole" appearance and do you ream the inside of the case to extend the reloading life or just discard these cases?

Thanks for you reply.

John

PhillipM
07-18-2016, 05:14
Forster. It may not add much, but it sure does help knowing where the bullet is in relation to the throat when coupled with a bullet comparitor.

Chunk any anomalies.

bigedp51
07-18-2016, 05:33
Below the best bang for the buck and the straightest ammo.

Forster Bench Rest 2-Die Set 223 Remington
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/184923/forster-bench-rest-2-die-set-223-remington

Forster Benchrest / Ultra Seating Die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzk-k8uor08

Reloading: Seating Die Runout Seating Die Induced Runout - A Comparison by Germán A. Salazar (Adobe reader required)
NOTE, the Redding die in the test below actually corrected neck runout, and the Redding and Forster seating die are both the same design.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwi18eqYof7NAhXFOCYKHT1xDVEQFggoMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Freloading.cc%2Fforum%2Fattachmen t.php%3Fattachmentid%3D8532%26d%3D1425564920&usg=AFQjCNEWbAvlft5hI_jioGKFvXlZelLjzw&sig2=-MIQm1MAD6ogwTR1oF3bSw

Aim High Air Force - MAC 69-73

Major Tom
07-19-2016, 05:37
For me, just shooting paper, tin cans or soda bottles, it wouldn't make any difference at all. I'm not into 'bench rest' shooting for extreme accuracy. As for extending case life, I find plenty of once fired brass at the local range after the cops are done shooting. In fact, they will help me pick up their brass.

Twinson
07-19-2016, 08:43
I have the Forster Ultra for all my seaters - 30.06 - .308 - .223. It's just easier when switching bullets to come back to the same setting. Jim

BudT
07-19-2016, 08:48
John, I don't know a thing about a Micro Bullet seating die but the RCBS dies I use seem to work just fine for me and my uses. I do think if I were to have a chance to do it over I would buy the Redding dies. I have a couple of sets and in my opinion they seem to be a better die than the regular company's but unless I sold my old ones I wouldn't buy another set. I'm sorry but I don't know what your referring to about a doughnut hole and reaming for it. 5.56/.223 brass is very plentiful so at this point I don't see where getting replacement brass would be difficult. I pick the stuff up all the time and will continue to do so, I remember not to far back we couldn't get a lot of stuff so I continue to put more and more into my stash. Any surplus or brass I cant use is given to people I know that can use them. Have a great day.

BudT

S.A. Boggs
07-21-2016, 12:05
John the first question to solve is just how accurate is your rifle. If your rifle is only capable of 2-3 MOA under the best of conditions is it worth trying to improve it? When I want to improve a new weapon I first research what the average weapon is in new condition. I would then procure match/premium ammo and see what the weapon will do. This gives me a baseline to try and improve on. I also try and find out what the used ammo was assembled with. No use in trying to re-invent the wheel.
Sam

PhillipM
07-21-2016, 12:10
John the first question to solve is just how accurate is your rifle. If your rifle is only capable of 2-3 MOA under the best of conditions is it worth trying to improve it? When I want to improve a new weapon I first research what the average weapon is in new condition. I would then procure match/premium ammo and see what the weapon will do. This gives me a baseline to try and improve on. I also try and find out what the used ammo was assembled with. No use in trying to re-invent the wheel.
Sam

John has a highly accurate AR-15 purpose built service rifle he wants to compete in high power matches out to 600 yards.

S.A. Boggs
07-21-2016, 12:11
The other thing that is often neglected is how good is the shooter. If you are a regular smoker and use caffeine you already have two strikes against you. 50 years ago my friend Bill Large the NMLRA barrel maker gave me some sage advice that I followed. Don' smoke, chew or drink coffee for several weeks before match. He also recommended plenty of sleep and buttermilk.
Sam

P.S. You might want to check with the U.S.A.M.T.U. as they specialize in what you want.

JohnMOhio
07-21-2016, 10:16
Here is what I have in reloading supplies. Bullets: 52 gr Match Hornady. 55 gr Hornady. Sierra 69 Grain Match Kings.
The rifle is supposed to be able to produce 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.

I have read Zider's book on the AR. The Mouse that Roared, his first book on the AR. Very good section on reloading. Suggested if there is one upgrade on equipment it should be the Micro Bullet Seater. He recommended the Reding brand. However, if I read the info correctly, it will not be compatible with a Rock Chucker press. Yes, I have the single stage one.

I have been reloading for about 60 years and learned much from that chapter, things I had not considered. Then again, the AR and the .223/5.56 are something special. Your trying to do something with a 20 inch barrel the gun was never designed to do. The interesting part is that with the better made/inovations in bullet weight and design these firearms are out shooting the M14/M1A out to 1,000 yards. However, I also know these accomplishments are being done by what are called the "hard holders." These of course are our Military teams.

I try to read up on projects before I start jumping in with both feet. Not having had any experience with the AR 15 while in the military, (M1 Carbine, Air Force). Had to start somewhere and that is the reason I ordered and read his book. The last copy right listed is 2002, that means to me the last date it was updated. I know a very large portion of the book would still apply today, however 14 years of advancements could tell a different story.

What I found really interesting reading this book is some of the work Bill Wydle had done on barrel length experiments. According to the book, Bill did a lot of building and shooting short barreled AR rifles, some down to 14 inches. He managed to produce two inch groups at 500 yards. I find that amazing.

My personal observations from reading about the AR 15, it is my belief that although Stoner may have come up with the design, and there are some really talented gunsmiths out there building them, I believe Bill Wydle took this firearm to the level it is today. The same way David Tubb has taken the AR 10/SR 25 to its limits. I would rate them both to be pioneers of the AR Platform. Again, no disrespect meant to people like Derrick Martin, the folks at White Oak etc. etc.
that are great builders that continue to experiment with loads/bullets etc etc. I also have to include the likes of D.I. Boyd in that fashion and the Heavy Holders of the USAMU.

My thanks to all of you that chimed in on this. I value the input from all of you. None better anywhere than Culver's.

John

nf1e
07-23-2016, 02:37
I have been using the RCBS precision mic and Competition seater for my .308 load for the M14. I like my bullets seated .010 off the lans. Seems to work for me. 13 rnd sub moa, 100 yds ain't bad for this type of rifle. Bula Defense XM21 with their med weight NM barrel.
All Bula parts nailed together by me and dropped in a JAE gen 3. Leupold MK4 LRT 8.5 - 25. Atlas bipod and Accu shot mono pod. Probably could have been tighter but I had a couple of cups of coffee before shooting.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0534_zpsjmg4smh2.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0534_zpsjmg4smh2.jpg.html)

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0540_zps6ze0jcmb.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0540_zps6ze0jcmb.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

JohnMOhio
07-25-2016, 09:26
Thanks Art and congrats on getting that rifle to work so well. Not many can do that or do it for a long period of time without some major tune ups in their future. I don't drink coffee very often so that is not a factor. Getting a proper load together is a must to take advantage of what my rifle is capable of doing. If it doesn't do what it is supposed to do than I know it is me and not the rifle. Again, my thanks.

John