PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Model 77/22

RCK
08-03-2016, 05:48
Many years ago I bought one of the early Ruger 77/22 rifles. It was from the first production run and it shot poorly with any type ammo, as those early ones did. I sold it immediately. After Ruger went to producing their own barrels, the accuracy improved greatly so I have been told.

I now have a chance to purchase another of these rifles in near mint condition, serial number 700-59XXX. Where does this one stand with respect to the Ruger produced barrels and should it shoot with good accuracy? At what point in the serial number production run was the change made?

S.A. Boggs
08-04-2016, 07:55
IMHO if you ever have a problem with any Ruger, send it back. I own several firearms and zero problems. My 10/22 was given to me by my parents in 1970, 46 years on and it still has the same tube. I have had to replace 3 stocks due to accidents and several scope due to wearing out. It will only shoot mini-mags accurately. Out to 150 I can get clean kills on rabbits or similar sized critters. I have retired my 25 round mag in place of the new Ruger mags. Accuracy starts between your horns and then spreads out. Bill Large told me as a youngster that to hit a target feed your body good. Don't use tobacco in any form, stay away from drink, coffee, get plenty and rest ...drink buttermilk.
Sam

bruce
08-04-2016, 11:03
Have no idea the issue of which you write. Have a 77-22 purchased for me by my wife in the first year of production. It is superlative. With any and just about every type of decent .22 LR ammo available, it will stay right at or under one inch at 50 yds. With selected lots of good quality ammunition it has averaged 1.17 inches for 10 shots at 100 yds. using a common 2xy Weaver scope. Firing was of course done from a good quality rest. Perhaps this rifle is a fluke. Don't know. Would think that if you contact Ruger, they could answer your question regarding barrel production, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

S.A. Boggs
08-05-2016, 01:18
Have no idea the issue of which you write. Have a 77-22 purchased for me by my wife in the first year of production. It is superlative. With any and just about every type of decent .22 LR ammo available, it will stay right at or under one inch at 50 yds. With selected lots of good quality ammunition it has averaged 1.17 inches for 10 shots at 100 yds. using a common 2xy Weaver scope. Firing was of course done from a good quality rest. Perhaps this rifle is a fluke. Don't know. Would think that if you contact Ruger, they could answer your question regarding barrel production, etc. Sincerely. bruce. Bruce you have inside help if you get my drift. After I say my prayer @ night my Holy Spirt is in need of a good rest.
Sam