PDA

View Full Version : Berdan primer source in U.S.A?

WHG
08-05-2016, 08:31
I've got a lot of Swiss GP11 brass that I would like to reload, and need to buy some Berdan large rifle primers.
Anyone know someone that is currently selling them, and has them in stock?

Tuna
08-05-2016, 09:32
Berdan primers are not just one size fit's all like the Boxer primer. In rifle size there are a number of different sizes used including some that are used on one type cartridge only. I think the main size is .217 but could be down to .210 or up to .220 if I remember right. Point is you need to know the size your brass takes and then locate the primers. They mostly come in as a batch and then it's years it seems before they are imported again. I think Midway has had them in the past and may have them now. PMC imported them years ago and I think Wolf also brought them into the country.

psteinmayer
08-05-2016, 09:38
I am currently reloading my GP-11 brass. Berdan primers are VERY difficult to find. The correct size is KV-762N, which is the same as the primer used in the Russian ammo. I'm using Tul-Ammo... and my meager supply is rapidly dwindling! If you do find a supplier, please share. Otherwise, you might consider switching to PPU 7.5x55mm brass, which I fear I'm going to also have to do!

Sunray
08-05-2016, 09:59
Like Tuna says, there's no such thing as a Berdan large rifle primer. Midway nor Graf's list any. Magtech was selling 'em for a while though. Think they dropped 'em.
Really isn't worth the time and effort (plus the $65 or so for the RCBS Berdan decapping tool) when boxer primed 7.5 x 55 Swiss brass is readily available.
There is no Berdan to boxer conversion either.
Turn the stuff you have into some drawer pulls and pitch the rest.

psteinmayer
08-05-2016, 11:05
As for decapping, I looked into the RCBS tool, and when I saw the price, I looked for something else! There's a video on u-tube for hydraulic decapping. You use a punch or some other tool that is sized the same as the case neck. Fill the case with water, place it in a socket on a towl, place the tool in the neck, and give it a couple whacks with a hammer. The cap pops out! Then, use a modified LEE neck chamfer tool to remove the three primer stakes. Simple! It's a little messy, but once you get into a groove and have done enough, you can decap them at a pretty good clip.

If you want to convert them, Parashooter has a very effective way to convert the Berdan cases to Boxer that works!

nf1e
08-06-2016, 02:48
I have used the RCBS de-capping tool for many K of DAG and MEN for years. My supply of primers is pretty good, but I would like to find more.
Once you get used to the tool , it is a very fast operation. I wet tumble with ss media and find the brass of exceptional quality.

CJCulpeper
08-10-2016, 04:47
Good thing I picked up a case of KV-762N when I had the chance. Figured I needed them for the Swiss and other European brass I have on hand. Can never have enough primers.

I wonder if I can get a dollar a primer on fleabay.

psteinmayer
08-11-2016, 04:29
PAUL.... Share some of those primers with me man!!! LOL

Seriously though... we really need to find who can get them, and if it's an import thing, then find out who can import them and maybe do a bulk-buy as a group.

gwp
08-11-2016, 09:16
If you are willing to import Berdan Large Rifle Primers (.217) from Canada, they are available at Canada Ammo.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/box-of-1000-dominion-arms-non-corrosive-boxer-berdan-large-rifle-primers/

Box of 1000 Dominion Arms Non-corrosive Berdan Large Rifle Primers .217

US CUSTOMERS: You require an ATF form 6 import permit to buy this, and any other firearms or ammunition/components.

psteinmayer
08-11-2016, 11:37
If you look at the SKU, you'll see that those are KV-24N primers. Although the same diameter, they are not the same depth. These are made for 7.62x39 rounds used in the AK-47, and are not hot enough to effectively ignite larger rifle loads, such as used in the 7.7x55 Swiss. What you need is KV-762N.

BlitzKrieg
08-21-2016, 07:30
Well, if you are in Northern Virginia and want 2 bricks of these Tula berdan primers that fit GP11 brass, just email me and trade me 2 bricks of small rifle primers. Fact to Face trade.

They also fit 303 British South African brass , 1980 mfg.

Griff Murphey
08-26-2016, 06:27
You might try Old Western Scrounger (304) 274-0004

They used to sell a wide variety. The website shows none but as we know websites can be deceiving.