PDA

View Full Version : Garand question..

glockshot
08-08-2016, 01:46
I took my 6/43 Springfield out for the 1st time in a while and was reminded that when you insert the loaded enbloc,the bolt releases as soon as the enbloc is fully seated instead of having to hit the slide to release.I assume there is a weak spring somewhere.Thanks in advance...

Brownac1983
08-08-2016, 02:05
You shouldn't have to hit anything to release the bolt. Once the enbloc is fully inserted, the bolt should stay back as long as you keep your thumb pressure on the top round. Once you take your thumb off (quickly) the bolt should move forward. Sometimes a light tap on the op rod is needed to get it started, but that isn't by design. When you load, hold the back of your hand in the charging handle to keep it from getting your thumb.
http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/loading/

IditarodJoe
08-08-2016, 03:53
I took my 6/43 Springfield out for the 1st time in a while and was reminded that when you insert the loaded enbloc,the bolt releases as soon as the enbloc is fully seated instead of having to hit the slide to release.I assume there is a weak spring somewhere.Thanks in advance...
Hmmm . . . need we ask just HOW you were reminded of this :icon_redface: A Holbrook device could be $65 well spent. :icon_lol:
http://www.m1thumbsaver.com/

dryheat
08-08-2016, 05:21
I love a slick garand that slides smoothly after inserting the enblock. On the other hand, I think it is an opportunity to look cool if it hangs up just a little. You can slap the oprod handle forward and look like you really know what your doing. Either way, no problem.

Sunray
08-08-2016, 09:29
"...bolt releases as soon as the en bloc is..." That's how The Rifle is supposed to work. No springs are weak or damaged. Should be the pad of one's thumb with said digit facing forward pushing down, not the tip.
The cause of "M1 Thumb" is operator failure. Failing to load correctly. A Holbrook device is a waste of $65.

PhillipM
08-08-2016, 10:05
It is impossible to get M1 thumb loading the rifle with a full clip.

I have great respect for Mr. Holbrook, but don't have a use for his device.

psteinmayer
08-08-2016, 11:53
Sorry, but I gotta give a +1 to Sunray and PhillipM too. Never had a need for the Holbrook device and never will. Anyone loading an M1, and learned to do it right will never experience M1 Thumb!

High Plaines Doug r
08-08-2016, 09:16
I have a mixmaster 1943 Springfield Garand that I had rebuilt after I got it from the CMP in 1995. I required a bump from my palm (or base of my thumb if you will) to release the bolt after the clip was seated before and after rebuild. 4,000 rounds later and the barrel needs replacing, it still needs a bump.
I have a 1954 IHC Garand from the DCM in 1998 that was for all intents "new" when I got it. It requires a bump from my palm to release the bolt except occasionally when charged with new, unfired brass. Even then it needs a bump most of the time. Part of my routine.

Rock
08-09-2016, 10:33
It is impossible to get M1 thumb loading the rifle with a full clip.

100% correct; it's amazing that so many people still believe they can get their thumb crushed when loading an M1. Careless handling of an empty rifle is the cause of M1 Thumb.

m1903rifle
08-10-2016, 01:25
100% correct; it's amazing that so many people still believe they can get their thumb crushed when loading an M1. Careless handling of an empty rifle is the cause of M1 Thumb.

+1...the bolt can't push your thumb AND a cartridge into the chamber at the same time.

psteinmayer
08-11-2016, 03:53
Agreed 100%

Dan Shapiro
08-11-2016, 04:53
My H&R requires a bump for the first enbloc. Once it warms up, the bolt closes on its own.

RED
08-11-2016, 06:51
Sorry, but I gotta give a +1 to Sunray and PhillipM too. Never had a need for the Holbrook device and never will. Anyone loading an M1, and learned to do it right will never experience M1 Thumb!

You guys amaze me! I thought you were all vets... You don't get M-1 thumb by loading the rifle and it has nothing to do with the ammunition nor the en bloc clips.

When the DI faces you during inspection, you open the bolt, look into the magazine to insure it is empty, and the DI grabs it, does the inspection then either throws the rifle into the sand or mud... or hands it back. The soldier/marine takes the rifle and sticks his thumb into the empty magazine, depresses the follower, and closes the bolt. That's when you get the M-1 thumb.

I learned to use my first three fingers instead of the thumb... try it, it works.

BTW... I carried a M-1 Garand a hundred miles and cleaned it what seemed to be a thousands of times and I never saw one with a firing pin, I never saw a clip, and never fired a single round but I had a M-1 thumb.

Ted Brown
08-11-2016, 09:47
I've been shooting the M1 for 55 years... So far I've lost two thumb nails... It's never been from loading. The problem was the bolt not being locked completely to the rear. It will rest against the back end of the follower and only a small movement will release the bolt in this condition. The first time was when a customer who opened the bolt and handed the rifle to me for inspection. I made the mistake of having my thumb in the breach area when I took it and the bolt slammed home. The second time was my own fault while smithing a rifle and I essentially did the same thing. Always make sure the bolt is fully locked to the rear. Stuff happens and may happen again!

glockshot
08-12-2016, 08:54
Thanks for all the great information.I was reminded because I had forgotten that it differs from my other and 1st Garand that needs a tap each time.I just figured that was the norm.My 1 and only thumb denailing was due to carelessness when cleaning.Glad to know all is well with both.Thanks again...Steve

bombdog
08-13-2016, 11:06
Maybe i'm a novice, but as long as i take the time to kinda clean my ammo a bit and insert it into the enbocks, i've never had to bump her... However, if i use some of my old surplus m2's w/o cleaning them i've had to give her a little nudge of her op-rod...
Just my thoughts, but i don't believe there's a problem, springs or otherwise...
bombdog, out...

gwp
08-13-2016, 12:43
Years ago at the range there was a know it all with a Garand, that insisted on being a pest. The subject of the M1 thumb came up and my friend plunged his thumb into the empty rifle several times to release the bolt. He was not moving real fast but he was not caught by the bolt. A little while later we heard cussing from the line. The other guy did not know my friend squeezed the op rod with his finger tips when he plunged his thumb into the receiver. This slowed down or would stop the bolt completely.

bombdog
08-21-2016, 05:16
Years ago at the range there was a know it all with a Garand, that insisted on being a pest. The subject of the M1 thumb came up and my friend plunged his thumb into the empty rifle several times to release the bolt. He was not moving real fast but he was not caught by the bolt. A little while later we heard cussing from the line. The other guy did not know my friend squeezed the op rod with his finger tips when he plunged his thumb into the receiver. This slowed down or would stop the bolt completely.
Laughing Out Loud!!!
bombdog...

bombdog
08-21-2016, 05:27
Funny story to go with these, a friend who runs a gun store near by was checkin miss alices' new tube with his 'new' bore light, and her being a self-conscious tractor gun can be anal... i had just said to him "make sure to pull the oprod fully to the rear", thought he'd heard me but when he inserted the light into the chamber and went to look into her muzzle, he bumped her and she bit the end off his light... Gave me one of those monkey working a math problem looks then busted out laughing...
Fun stuff...
bombdog, out...