PDA

View Full Version : Back when high school kids could be trusted with REAL guns

Griff Murphey
08-12-2016, 12:18
Couple of photos, B&W one is me, at left, as a squad leader Corporal Soph. Year high school, Federal Inspection at Arlington Heights High School, spring 1965, age 16.

Second one (color) is of our ROTC "commando" unit at the Eagle Mountain (ex-MCAS) Army Airfield now owned by Copeland Ministries. We repainted this old USMC ammo bunker and used it for our FTXs. Of the guys in the photo all but one served on active duty one was WIA three of us served in (in my case in sight OF) Vietnam. This was 1967.

S.A. Boggs
08-12-2016, 04:17
We weren't afraid of having our feelings hurt.
Sam

Ted Brown
08-13-2016, 11:06
I wasn't in ROTC, but they didn't seem to have any problem with my taking a Winchester 63 to school for after school target practice. That was back in 1960-61.

wsfbernie
08-19-2016, 12:34
I went to Boise High School. Grad of 1966. We had M1's with only the firing pin removed. Also, BAR's and carbines. We had a
live .22 cal. firing range in the basement and a true "armory". I got A's in ROTC and loved it. Heck, we actually had exercises
with blanks in the desert. We learned all about grenade launching. Actual full time Army NCO's and a Lt. Col. were assigned to
us. Gee, do you think there could be something similar in today's high schools?

Today I owe my responsibility and success to those ROTC classes. I collect M1's now, and carbines. I had left home at 14
and ROTC gave me the guidance and security I needed. When JFK was shot, we stood at attention listening to the broadcasts. Too bad today's kids are missing out on this.

Sunray
08-21-2016, 10:09
Isn't that long ago. My CF Army Cadets were 13 to 18 year olds. Shot .22's every week end and C1A1's or No. 4 Rifles several times per school year. That was in the early 80's.

Dan Shapiro
08-21-2016, 03:12
1963 - Fallbrook High School. Friday afternoon was extracurricular activity. After school let out, ROTC would draw .22's, targets and ammo from the armory. We'd walk across campus to the range located above the football field. After firing, we'd return the equipment to the armory and clean weapons. No horsing around, no goofing off. Who was in charge? The senior cadet present.

We wonder why young adults today act like children. Could it be that it's because we treat them like children.

Clark Howard
08-22-2016, 06:05
These days the schools are preoccupied with bullies and who squats to pee. Damn dems! Regards, Clark

Darreld Walton
08-23-2016, 09:03
Jr. year high school, Blackfoot, Idaho, English class was assigned to read a book about a nuke strike somewhere in Florida, or some such, and life afterward in a Civil Defense shelter. Our assignment was to bring what we thought we would take to a shelter in such a situation. I took a 6" blued, Colt Trooper Mk III .357 Mag, holster, but left the ammunition in the truck in the parking lot. English teacher didn't act surprised, she said it was the 6th handgun in class that day.
We went over to the Army NG armory, and shot on their indoor range for smallbore matches, and for postals during the winter. Other area high schools had ranges under the stage, in the gym, or, like us, used the Nat'l Guard ranges.
I never, ever got stopped, questioned, or even given a second look riding from the house across town to shoot jackrabbits with my .22 strapped to the handlebars of my Schwinn circa 1966.......

JohnPeeff
08-24-2016, 08:26
If you can believe this, we used to get on the L Taraval streetcar and go to the beach with .22s and a 03 Springfield and shoot at a Nazi helmet and a few seagulls. This was circa 1961-63. The 30-06 was old military sold at the San Francisco Gun Exchange for $1.00 a 20 rd box.I think the .22 was 59-69 cents a box. Today BB gun would get you a SWAT team and jail.

SemperFi, 0321
08-24-2016, 10:13
I went to Boise High School. Grad of 1966. We had M1's with only the firing pin removed. Also, BAR's and carbines. We had a
live .22 cal. firing range in the basement and a true "armory". I got A's in ROTC and loved it. Heck, we actually had exercises
with blanks in the desert. We learned all about grenade launching. Actual full time Army NCO's and a Lt. Col. were assigned to
us. Gee, do you think there could be something similar in today's high schools?

Today I owe my responsibility and success to those ROTC classes. I collect M1's now, and carbines. I had left home at 14
and ROTC gave me the guidance and security I needed. When JFK was shot, we stood at attention listening to the broadcasts. Too bad today's kids are missing out on this.

I too went to Boise High in 69-70. Have great memories of shooting those WW2 .22 target rifles at the rifle range in the basement under the library and 1stSgt Trueman teaching us classes. I also remember the 1919A6 MG and 60mm mortar, along with all the other rifles in the gun locker. Kids brought their gunstocks to wood shop across the street.
I've always wondered what's in the basement today, a HazMat computer lab?

wsfbernie
08-25-2016, 01:48
I too went to Boise High in 69-70. Have great memories of shooting those WW2 .22 target rifles at the rifle range in the basement under the library and 1stSgt Trueman teaching us classes. I also remember the 1919A6 MG and 60mm mortar, along with all the other rifles in the gun locker. Kids brought their gunstocks to wood shop across the street.
I've always wondered what's in the basement today, a HazMat computer lab?

I'm attending the 50th reunion of my '66 class. Will find out. I used to work for Buntings on Warm Springs
Ave.-----went ground squirrel hunting with my .22 Savage pump, John Tillman was my partner. Used a
7.65 Mauser for Coyotes (Norma Ammo). My hunting grounds are all subdivisions now. I actually went into
a bank with Luger on my belt. No questions asked. Used to be able to "rent" a rifle on Main street by the
Idanha for hunting. Yep, our society has "progressed".

remus
08-25-2016, 02:03
San Diego, Clairemont high. California cadet corps. We had M1's and about a dozen .22 target rifles. Armory and range in same building, with the classroom next door. Our commandant was a retd, marine major. He had five bolts with firing pins and got ammo for the m1's from the state. We would go out to the marine ranges at Camp Matthews on Saturday morning and shoot the national match course with the m1's. We shot every day in the indoor range during the week. All it took was for a cadet officer to manage the range. Never had a problem. This was from 59 to 62 for me. I graduated in 62. Kids aren't brought up to be responsible any more I don't think. At least not enough of them are.

The used to let kids act like adults. I see precious little of that nowadays.

jsaviano
08-26-2016, 04:18
Remus, thats because of the Democratic teachers unions dumbing down the kids today.

Griff Murphey
08-26-2016, 05:05
It's sad that the concept of "adult responsibility" being passed to high school age kids is pretty much lost today, but then, it's lost on too many adults (today's parents) these days. A wholesome hobby, in past years always practiced in the best interests of public safety, has been slandered and effectively removed from the lives of most high school and college kids today.

S.A. Boggs
08-26-2016, 07:21
Several years ago while we were having our weekly team meeting/lunch, one of the case managers brought up an interesting point. Parents are bring their kids into the clinic to have the "kids" fixed. In reality it is the parents who need fixed, the kids are just being kids. Trust me when I say the inmates are running the institution. Taking personal responsibility is a mental illness, the gov.com can fix anything. More taxes will bring more that the gov.com can give to you. I could go on and on!
Sam

Darreld Walton
12-22-2016, 05:24
I'm attending the 50th reunion of my '66 class. Will find out. I used to work for Buntings on Warm Springs
Ave.-----went ground squirrel hunting with my .22 Savage pump, John Tillman was my partner. Used a
7.65 Mauser for Coyotes (Norma Ammo). My hunting grounds are all subdivisions now. I actually went into
a bank with Luger on my belt. No questions asked. Used to be able to "rent" a rifle on Main street by the
Idanha for hunting. Yep, our society has "progressed".

Was put up in the Idanha after my induction physical...... The Doc was a Navy Lt Cmdr. He had us line up, told us to bend over and spread our cheeks. At least two guys grabbed their rosy red dimples and pulled em to their ears....... Honest!

SemperFi, 0321
12-23-2016, 09:51
Good old AFEES. Enlisted there in July '72.
I used to spend hours at Purcells Sporting Goods down by the Idanha (probably the same gun rental place), staring at the old guns that were out of my price range, like a G-43 w/scope for $150.
I opened a gun business with an old gunsmith of theirs, and moved it up to Mackay, just north of you in 1988. Went bust in 2 yrs, but what a beautiful place that was around Mt. Borah. Where I live now is very similar to Mackay.

jaie5070
01-01-2017, 12:20
Was put up in the Idanha after my induction physical...... The Doc was a Navy Lt Cmdr. He had us line up, told us to bend over and spread our cheeks. At least two guys grabbed their rosy red dimples and pulled em to their ears....... Honest!

Years letter when I went through the physical I remember hearing somewhere down the line: "Son do you know what toilet paper is? Get your clothes on and clean your self up." Boy it was hard not to bust out laughing.

javierrr
01-01-2017, 09:44
the world has changes since then, even now its some adults cant be trusted with guns.

S.A. Boggs
01-06-2017, 07:59
the world has changes since then, even now its some adults cant be trusted with guns.
Some adults can't be trusted with the truth!
Sam

rayg
01-06-2017, 10:58
Many years ago when I was 15 years old, I ordered a 9mm P-38 out of the shotgun news, my older brother signed for it. (paid $19.00 for it), and I brought it to my HS shop class to show it to the teacher. Can you imagine bringing a gun to school today like that. Ray

RED
01-06-2017, 01:04
I used to ride my bicycle to school when I was in the 10th grade. I would have my .410 Win. model 37 broken down to 3 pieces and in a duffel bag and would take it to the office for the principal to keep. At 3:30 when school was over, I would pedal my bike about 7 miles to a place to hunt. There was a field grown over by sage grass bordered by walnut and oak trees. I would load with number 8's and usually jump a covey of quail. As I approached the trees and brush, I would reload with #6's and often would jump a cottontail or two. Then there was the oaks and walnut trees and grey squirrels...

Sometimes the principle would load me and the bicycle in his pick up and drive to a further spot and would hunt with me.

Let's make America great again.