PDA

View Full Version : New to M1s

ElWoodman
08-20-2016, 07:20
Can anyone direct me to info regarding which parts on an M1 have manufacturers' markings? Thanks in advance.

PhillipM
08-20-2016, 08:42
Perhaps this will help.

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx

Sunray
08-21-2016, 09:56
Military manuals are here in .pdf format. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. Feel free to send a nastygram to Fulton about their poor spelling. It's not Ordinance. That's a law. snicker.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
The really important part about M1 Rifle part numbers is that they have absolutely nothing to do with the serial number. Part numbers are drawing numbers only. They should not match.
When somebody says matching parts(99.99% have been made that way by somebody with too much time and money) they mean the same manufacturer. When they say 'correct'(also made that way and doesn't make the rifle worth more or more collectable.) they mean the parts and receiver match by the date of manufacture.

CPC
08-22-2016, 09:25
Unless I read something wrong ( have not looked at the Fulton page) ordnance is correct. Ordinance is a law, order, or decree according to my dictionary. Just my humble opinion but I believe collectors think part numbers are important for serial number ranges as they help them determine the originality of a rifle which in turn results in higher prices. If numbers, etc, were not important to some people there would be very little or no discussion on any of these forums. I have not purchased any garands for a long time but when I look at the prices on GB, CMP, and other forums the terms matching and correct normally generate higher prices.

Sunray
08-22-2016, 09:44
"...the Fulton page..." It's the title of the FM. And my thumb typing. snicker. DOH!

tanker trash
08-22-2016, 07:18
only a very few parts have marks that correspond to a specific manufacturer. for example, a safety marked "F" is associated with an International Harvester. Springfield Armory labeled parts "SA", an easy verification. some parts are only tied to a specific manufacturer by distinct features. The best general source for the beginning collector is the Scott Duff books.

musketjon
08-26-2016, 01:48
, a safety marked "F" is associated with an International Harvester.
Not totally correct, but not wrong. A non-serrifed F is IHC, whereas a serrifed F is late SA.
Jon