PDA

View Full Version : Question about National Ord.

Marty T.
08-23-2016, 08:03
Are the M1 receivers made by National Ordinance any good? I need a receiver to put a WRA M1 together and I can't find an affordable WRA rec. so looking a buying something to put the parts on to keep them in one place and also shoot it if I want. Don't want to spend money on useless stuff, but if they are ok then might do it for now. Thanks.

Allen
08-23-2016, 08:19
From what I've heard about them you would be better off to pay the difference and buy a USGI receiver. Some are OK and some are not.

bruce
08-24-2016, 04:05
Have had two National Ordinance 03-A3 rifles. Both were in every respect excellent. However, there is a lot of difference between a bolt action rifle and a semi-automatic. The price of a good M-1 receiver is such that it would not make sense to build a rifle using a non-GI receiver. Neither CIA or NO would be a good choice. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

BEAR
08-24-2016, 06:20
Many years ago(early 70s) I purchased my first M1 and it had a National Ord. receiver. I was fairly ignorant about M1s and thought they were all surplus military. The rifle was beautiful and it shot well.....except.....when the 7th round was fired, the empty casing, 8th round and clip all were ejected. This didn't happen every time but enough that it bothered me so I took it to a gunsmith. He said there was nothing he could do because it was a flaw in the casting. That's when my education about non-GI rifles began.
I did notice that the problem came about when I hand loaded the rounds in the clip. My hand loaded clips always put the first round on the opposite side of the of the ordnance loaded clips. If I used the ordnance loaded clips or loaded my clips the same, the rifle performed flawlessly.
Never heard about a similar problem with other Nat. Ord. rifles.

Latigo 1
08-24-2016, 07:11
Marty, Check your private messages.

Sunray
08-24-2016, 09:42
I believe a lot of National ORDNANCE receivers were cast. Cast, generally speaking, isn't a bad thing(your engine block is cast), but the NO receivers were supposedly a very long way from being even close to 'spec'.
It won't be a WRA M1 Rifle with a National ORDNANCE receiver though. Better to find a beat up rifle and buy it for the receiver. Assuming the price is right.

Marty T.
08-24-2016, 08:21
Marty, Check your private messages.

I did, up to you. Thanks.

Marty T.
08-24-2016, 08:23
Reason for me asking is there is one listed on GB and I thought it might be good enough to use, but apparently not, which also is what I figured. Thanks for all input and I'll keep looking for the real thing which is what I want anyway.
Marty T.