PDA

View Full Version : WTS: RtL's September Book Sale!

Rick the Librarian
08-30-2016, 05:20
Books “neatened” to make them easier to see what is still available. Books no longer listed are sold, pending arrival of funds (SPF). There are a number of good books available. I’ve taken the liberty of “starring (*) those I think especially good.
Gathered together are an outstanding group of books on World War II as well as a good list of books on famous Americans and military leaders, as well as other wars and topics. Take a look for “bundle” prices on multiple books for sale on one category.
A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure and now come with tracking numbers. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) Books are for sale on several forums. When two people offer to buy the same book or books, the earlier email/PM is considered first. I try to update this list to show purchased books at least once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks”:

3) “All My Love: Korean War Letters” by J.W. London. London was a young “retread”, called back into service during the Korean War as a junior naval officer on a destroyer. These are a series of poignant love letters he wrote to his wife. They reflect the loneliness, concern, occasional danger, worries about bills and other concerns of a typical young married officer during the “Forgotten War”. Excellent reading! Ex-near new trade ppk. $6.50

4) “1897 Sears Roebuck Catalogue”. SPF

II. World War II

1) “32 in 1944: Building the Portsmouth Submarine Fleet in World War II” by Rodney Watterson. After averaging the completion of less than two submarines a year in the 1930s, the Portsmouth Navy Yard completed an astonishing thirty-two submarines in 1944 including the simultaneous launching of three submarines. The yard built seventy-nine submarines between 1941 and 1945, a fleet that collectively represented thirty-seven percent of the United States submarines built during the war. NEW condition! $12.95

2) “Derailing the Tokyo Express” by Jack Coombe. Coombe, a Pacific War veteran, gives a good "sailor's-eye" perspective on the sea fights, from the battle of the Coral Sea to the end of the struggle in the Solomons. His simple narrative style recalls an uncle describing his wartime campaigns in unusual detail. The history and statistics are all here, and interpreted in the conventional manner. Ex. trade ppk, $4.50

3) “Over Here: How the G.I. Bill Transformed the American Dream” by Edward Humes SPF

4) “Attack of Pearl Harbor: Strategy, Combat, Myths, Deception” by Alan Zimm. SPF

*5) “This is London” by Edward R. Murrow. SPF

*7) Paperback WWII aerial classics! These are three excellent books written by some of the most famous fighter pilots who flew and scored kills during WWII. All are paperback, are in ex-near new condition. $9.50 for ALL three or $3.95 each.

--Full Circle by J.E. Johnson. Johnson was the leading British ace of WWII with 38 kills. This book has a compendium of fighter tactics from WWI to Vietnam.

--“Baa Baa Black Sheep” by Gregory Boyington. The “bad boy” USMC ace of WWII who flew with the Flying Tigers and later formed the famous USMC fighter squadron. Boyington survived nearly two years in Japanese prison camps.

--“God Is My Co-Pilot” by Robert Scott. SPF

III. Biographies

*1) “Bull Halsey” by E.B. Potter. No man did more to assure U.S. victory in the Pacific. A colorful and cantankerous figure, Halsey was one of the greatest combat leaders in U.S. naval history. While Potter brilliantly illustrates Halsey's ability as a leader and tactician, he candidly admits to the Admiral's shortcomings and explains the reasons behind his most controversial decisions: the Battle of Leyte Gulf and the typhoon incidents of 1944/45. Potter had access to sources not previously available and has produced a remarkably fine and objective biography. Like new, with plastic cover but NOT ex-library. $11.50

IV. General Military History:

*1) “Fighting the Flying Circus” by Eddie Rickenbacker. Rickenbacker was the leading American ace of WWI and later head of Eastern Airlines. If you are a WWI enthusiast or simply interested in aviation, this book is a must read. Captain Rickenbacker takes you inside the mind of a fighter pilot and in doing so makes you feel as if you are right there with him in battle. This book will keep your attention from beginning to end and is simply hard to put down. From the beginnings of the Hat in the Ring squadron to the final days of the war, Capt. Rickenbacker allows you to fly along with him in a hair raising game of death high over German lines. Near new, very well made reproduction by Time Life with cloth bookmark and introduction as the best-seller from the 1930s. Near new, $9.75.

*2) “Wounded: A New History of the Western Front in World War I” by Emily Mayhew. SPF

3) “Marching to Armageddon: Canadians in the Great War” by Desmond Morton. SPF

5) “Cavalier in Buckskin: George Armstrong Custer” by Robert Utley. Bringing to life vivid images of the western military frontier, Custer presents George Armstrong Custer, the man and the legend, and illuminates the challenges he faced in warfare with the Indians of the Great Plains. A very even-handed treatment of Custer. Trade ppk., Near new, $4.95

6) “The Incredible Great White Fleet” by Samuel Carter. A short but well-written treatment of the volyage of the U.S. Navy’s Great White Fleet around the world in 1907-09. Near new, $5.95

7) “Men Against Tanks” by John Weeks. A short, but interesting history of anti-tank warfare from World War I to the Middle East. VG, $5.00

8) “Honor Killing” by David Stannard. In 1931, when a young socialite, the wife of a naval officer stationed in Honolulu, accused six islanders of rape, it set off a storm of racial controversy that mirrored the fevered atmosphere of the mainland, one that often ended with the lynching of black men accused of rape. Despite enormous pressure brought to bear by a corrupt police department, the U.S. military, the press, and business interests, the rape trial ended in a hung jury. The accuser, Thalia Massie, her husband, Tommie, and her publicity-seeking mother reacted by arranging for the kidnapping and murder of one of the accused men, a killing to protect the honor of white women. The sensational murder trial, which captured the attention of the mainland a I can send the whole bunch for $15 – a virtual avation history librarnd the world, featured Clarence Darrow for the defense, a move that ruined his reputation as a progressive. Stannard masterfully portrays the personalities involved--socialites, native Hawaiians, politicians--and the growing tensions in the islands as a polyglot of ethnicities clashed with rising commercial and military interests. Near new, $7.95