PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying 308 Garand

My Toy
09-10-2016, 10:46
I'm in the market for a M1 Garand in 308 to go along with my CMP 30-06 Garands I purchased in 2003. Called LG shop and they told me they had one in stock; I was hoping it was one of the CMP built 308 Garands with the new Criterion barrels( I think they are called Special Service Grade). When I examined the Garand at my LG shop I don't think it was a CMP rifle. The S.A. receiver serial numbers is 8072XX and it had a 308 block in place; The side of the barrel was rollmarked SA 8535448 3 63 Y17 and also was also stamped PM with a smaller rectangular mark that I could not read. The PM stamping looks like it was done at a later date. The stock was not a USGI /w appropriate cartouche. The stock had no markings except one stamped MT on the right cheek side of the stock.
I know some 30-06 Garands were converted to 308 with a chamber insert; I had know way of inspecting the rifle's chamber to see if this was the case. The rifle's muzzle looked like it may have been professionally re-crowned.
Can any M1 Garand expert out there tell me anything about this rifle based on my description?

dryheat
09-10-2016, 11:18
MT signifies Italian. Make sure it isn't a Tipo II stock that has been spliced. It will still work but it's goofy. Every 3-63 barrel I've ever seen was on a Blue Sky import. But I don't think BS ever did .308-

musketshooter
09-10-2016, 02:14
I would ask to have it bore scoped to determine if there is a sleeve in it.

My Toy
09-10-2016, 05:51
Thanks for the replies. Every Blue Sky M1 carbine I've seen had Blue Sky prominently stamped on the barrel. I didn't see this on this Garand (although I guess it could be under the handguard. It would be a good idea to bore scope the barrel (in fact I have one) but I don't know if the dealer would go for that. Anyway I passed on it; just to many question for the asking price.