PDA

View Full Version : Slide Stuck....hit it with a mallet?

Aligater
09-12-2016, 11:00
The slide on my 1911 is stuck in a half open position and it will not move even a little......The barrel lugs are loose and you can see them from the opening at the top of the receiver. I've been looking for a way to get the slide loose and the people on other forums are talking about hitting it with a mallet or plastic hammer and driving it reward.......I don't like the idea of hitting anything with a mallet, but I'll have to try it.........I think they mean hitting the slide with the mallet and driving it backwards.........any other ideas? any real good 1911 gunsmiths I can send it to (I don't think Orion 7 works on 1911's)...any alternative solutions?????????? / thanks,

Bruce

09-12-2016, 02:54
Unloaded I hope? Drop mag and use a rubber mallet!

PhillipM
09-12-2016, 03:37
Emri Stidham on the 03 forum has been a professional gunsmith for 35 years or so. He works in Robertsdale, Alabama, just south of Mobile. I'm sure you can mail it to him and get things sorted out.

Work number 2519472291

Major Tom
09-12-2016, 05:29
Whack it! Ya ain't gonna hurt it! If there is a round in the chamber, use a wood dowel down the barrel and whack it.

bruce
09-13-2016, 04:18
If loaded, first remove the magazine and the firing pin. If not loaded, flood the receiver rails/slide w/ oil... preferably something that penetrates. Kroil is excellent. Tap w/ a plastic mallet lightly from the rear. Should clear the problem. Given that it got stuck pulling it to the rear, driving it to the front should be the best way to get it loose. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

Aligater
09-13-2016, 08:30
Thanks Guys......the rubber mallet trick worked.........anything I can do to prevent a future occurrence?