PDA

View Full Version : 308 cal Garands

jerrbear
09-12-2016, 04:47
Newbie here on the M1 rifle. Am considering a Winchester garand in 3o8 cal. What is the reasoning behind the change in cal. Is there a certain serial range into which this was done or certain manufactures? When was this done and what do I look for as I don't want one that Bubba got a hold of. Any info here would really help. Saw the above rifle at a show. Thanks.

Herschel
09-12-2016, 06:21
The chambering of the M1 Rifle in 7./62 NATO was done long after manufacture of the M1 had ceased. This was done for the Navy and Air Force, I believe, marksmanship teams. The army and USMC had gone to the M14 for marksmanship competition. For a period of time in the 1960's and maybe early 1970's both .30 caliber (for the M1 rifles) and 7.62 NATO was available on military ranges. This resulted in some competitors accidentally loading 7.62 in the clips for the M1. I have seen full clips of 7.62 fired through the M1. It would function and the error would not be discovered until the competitor would be policing up his brass and noticed the strangely shaped cartridge cases. I am writing this from memory and may be a little off on detail as I was a shooter not an ordnance person at the time. I suggest you go for a .30 cal chambered M1. 7.62 NATO and .308 Win. are virtually the same cartridge. There has been considerable discussion as to their interchangeability on the forums.

PhillipM
09-12-2016, 06:31
The Navy converted them from random rifles on hand. At first they used chamber inserts which have are likely to eject with the case and the 1/2" free bore wasn't good for accuracy either. Later, they contracted Springfield Armory to make 7.62 NATO barrels. The Navy rifles are more of a collector's item than a shooter.

The only difference between a 3006 and 308 M1 is just the barrel. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has been selling 308s for a few years now and there is nothing wrong with them or someone that screwed on a new production 308 barrel if they new what they were doing.

Authenticating a Navy 7.62 NATO rifle will be tough. Pull the op rod back and report the stampings on the barrel for starters. Some early ones had 7.62mm on the left side under the rear sight.

PhillipM
09-12-2016, 06:33
The chambering of the M1 Rifle in 7./62 NATO was done long after manufacture of the M1 had ceased. This was done for the Navy and Air Force, I believe, marksmanship teams. The army and USMC had gone to the M14 for marksmanship competition. For a period of time in the 1960's and maybe early 1970's both .30 caliber (for the M1 rifles) and 7.62 NATO was available on military ranges. This resulted in some competitors accidentally loading 7.62 in the clips for the M1. I have seen full clips of 7.62 fired through the M1. It would function and the error would not be discovered until the competitor would be policing up his brass and noticed the strangely shaped cartridge cases. I am writing this from memory and may be a little off on detail as I was a shooter not an ordnance person at the time. I suggest you go for a .30 cal chambered M1. 7.62 NATO and .308 Win. are virtually the same cartridge. There has been considerable discussion as to their interchangeability on the forums.

It was done because the Navy didn't want to buy M14s for shipboard service. With the end of 30M2 production, they tried to take the cheap way out and modify what they had on hand.

gunny
09-14-2016, 01:37
The Navy converted them from random rifles on hand. At first they used chamber inserts which have are likely to eject with the case and the 1/2" free bore wasn't good for accuracy either. Later, they contracted Springfield Armory to make 7.62 NATO barrels. The Navy rifles are more of a collector's item than a shooter.

The only difference between a 3006 and 308 M1 is just the barrel. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has been selling 308s for a few years now and there is nothing wrong with them or someone that screwed on a new production 308 barrel if they new what they were doing.

Authenticating a Navy 7.62 NATO rifle will be tough. Pull the op rod back and report the stampings on the barrel for starters. Some early ones had 7.62mm on the left side under the rear sight.

I have two Navy Garands...MK2 MOD 0...Barrel side marking....2 S-A 9-43... 7.62 NATO (in white paint) (no chrome)
Barrel top marking...D35448-27-A-43-B (has chamber insert)
CMP Papered as a 7.62 NATO
S/N 20584XX
MK2 MOD 1 Barrel side marking...7.62 mm..SA 1168514 3 66 M O 61 PM National Defense
Stamp(Eagle with Stars..in white paint)
Top Marking..None
S/N 59751XX

DRB
09-21-2016, 10:51
The Navy had Ammo made up in M1 clips for the converted Garands. Only a relatively small amount was ever loaded this way and it is pretty hard to find.

Litt'le Lee
09-22-2016, 02:38
Buy a used Garand and have a Barnett/Douglas 308 barrel installed and you will be ready to rock&roll--that's what I did
It will shoot MOA

gunny
09-23-2016, 07:02
The Navy had Ammo made up in M1 clips for the converted Garands. Only a relatively small amount was ever loaded this way and it is pretty hard to find.

I have a wire bound wood crate that contains two of those cans. The crate has a LC lead seal. I bought it from the CMP.

Gunny

Phil McGrath
09-23-2016, 12:44

I have a wire bound wood crate that contains two of those cans. The crate has a LC lead seal. I bought it from the CMP.

Gunny

Actually the Navy had LC clip up ammo for them, finding ammo actually loaded up from NWSC Crane for Match use is hard too find.

tom gray
09-25-2016, 05:27
Afew years ago the CMP sold a bunch of 308 Navy barreled receivers. I bought one, built it up, and it shoots great.
A nice variation with CMP papers.
Tom