PDA

View Full Version : Makin Island Garand left by Marine Rsiders

Griff Murphey
09-14-2016, 03:14
Doesn't look like much is left. These photos are3743037431 in Sea Classics November issue.

I am not sure if this is a burial rifle or where it was found...
On land or in the water....

cplnorton
09-14-2016, 03:58
I would love to know the serial number.

Major Tom
09-15-2016, 04:53
Literally thousands of WW2 weapons were lost in the jungles, sea invasions and so forth. They are still being found today in all parts of the world. Exciting finds for sure.

Sunray
09-15-2016, 09:51
"...were lost in the..." Not to mention in boats that live on the bottom of the oceans. Kind of surprising there's any wood left at all.

Ramair
09-15-2016, 11:38
Go to site: www.myccamerica.com and then 'long guns' for more info. Also a related link at top of post.

Griff Murphey
09-16-2016, 09:27
Go to site: www.myccamerica.com and then 'long guns' for more info. Also a related link at top of post.

Although the article does not say so directly it says it was recovered when remains were recovered, therefore it must be one of the burial rifles. Thanks, good info!

Vern Humphrey
09-16-2016, 12:53
Way back in the '50s, we found a BMW motorcycle with side car and MG 34 machinegun abandoned in the Western Desert in Egypt (my dad was General Manager for an oil exploration company.) We made the mistake of shooting the MG where some Egyptian soldiers could hear it and they confiscated it.

Later on, when I found a Bren Gun at Siwa, I made sure no one could hear me when I shot it.

me109g4
10-29-2016, 04:07
All kinds of buried stuff out there, a friend who lives in one of the countries over run by the Nazi's during the Russian invasion found a collapsed bunker, after digging into it he found a mint P38 pistol and an MP40, both appeared as new and both ran like clocks when he too them out to try. So stuff is out there, and he continues to find them. His favourite story is wandering into an old German minefield,, fortunately the mines were rusted solid but it scared the hell out of him.

tmark
10-29-2016, 07:11
Can you imagine what it still buried in the mud and sand off the Normandy beaches?

Vern Humphrey
10-29-2016, 07:51
Can you imagine what it still buried in the mud and sand off the Normandy beaches?
In the mid-50s., I was in Egypt, and we used to go out to the Western Desert and you can't imagine the things we found. I had a Bren gun, and all the ammo I could shoot!

Those were the days.

PhillipM
10-29-2016, 07:54

A bunch of rust