PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the swiss k-31 karbine

DougBowser
09-19-2016, 07:59
RELOADING FOR THE SWISS K-31 KARBINE
When I was at the CMP State Rifle Championships, I asked one of the shooters for a 7.5x55 G11 Swiss Army cartridge. I needed the cartridge because I had heard the throats in Swiss K31 Carbines were very short. This is not the case with 1911 Swiss rifles. I have a Sinclair bullet ogive comparator. It allows the reloader to measure a seating depth on the bullet ogive on any cartridge (22, 6mm, 6.5mm, .277, .7mm and .30) and repeat the same ogive seating depth on any bullet used with that cartridge.

The Sinclair Bullet Ogive Comparator

I took Charlie’s 7.5 G11 ctg and measured it with a dial caliper from the end of the comparator to the base of the ctg.

I seated a USGI .30 M2 bullet in the case and duplicated the measurement from the G11 ogive seating depth. This makes a safe cartridge for the K31 rifle.

A 7.5x55 cartridge loaded to the normal cannelure depth of a .30 M2 bullet, will not allow the bolt to close on the K31 Carbine.

Notice how much further forward the M2 bullet would be if it were seated to the normal .30-06 seating depth. The Swiss rifles are very accurate but a shooter should be careful about the seating depth of their reloaded ammunition. This same operation could be done with the Hornady bullet comparator but the special cartridge case needed to use the tool is not available in 7.5 Swiss.

psteinmayer
09-20-2016, 05:33
I reload for my K-31. I am presently loading GP-11 brass using a supply of Berdan primers. My load is a Nosler 168 gr HPBT Custom Competition Match bullet (the same bullet I load for my Garand and 1903) over 40.0 grains of H-4895. These are extremely accurate in my K-31. I'm using standard LEE Pacesetter dies, and I'm having little trouble. I hydraulically (with water) decap, and although slower and messier than normal decapping, works well for the small volume (100 rounds every month or so) that I load. If you want to use the GP-11 brass, but not mess with Berdan priming, which are difficult to get at best anyway... Parashooter has a very effective - and easy way to convert the brass to Boxer primers. Also, PPU/Privi makes 7.5x55 mm brass which is acceptable for use in the K-31.

barretcreek
09-20-2016, 08:29
Midway has a great deal on Swiss ammo. May go quick.

madsenshooter
09-28-2016, 03:50
They also have PRVI brass!

Darreld Walton
02-16-2017, 09:56
Back when I could get it, I used 284 Winchester brass, with (insert your favorite brand) 168's. My K31 shot really well with the loads, but, that was back when you could get 284 brass, AND, it was relatively inexpensive!
The PRVI brass is good stuff in the other cases I've loaded with it. Might have to shop for another rifle!

Andouille
02-18-2017, 11:34
This same operation could be done with the Hornady bullet comparator but the special cartridge case needed to use the tool is not available in 7.5 Swiss.

Not available as standard perhaps but it is available from the Hornady custom shop at reasonable cost. If you will send $15 and two fired cases to Hornady, they'll make you up one. Be warned that the web page describing this service indicates a need to ship to their physical address via FedEx or UPS, citing USPS delivery as unreliable to the remote location that does the work. That's expensive. However if you call Hornady customer service, there is a post office box newly established for this and they'll give it to you over the phone. I recently did this for a wildcat cartridge and was well pleased with the speed of service, just a few days, and quality of results.

Clickie-this-linkie: http://www.hornady.com/store/Modified-Cases/

Alternatively, if you look around on the innernets, you'll find described the correct drill and tap necessary to do your own. But the Hornady service will likely be cheaper unless you expect to do more than just the one.