PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Storage in Holsters

RCK
09-28-2016, 01:32
What is the best and safe way to store handguns in their leather holsters, or is that something that should never be done?

dave
09-28-2016, 06:05
Should never be done. Leather can attract moisture like any gun case does, and then there are the chemicals used to cure the leather? Guns need to be stored where air can circulate, moisture at about 50%. This according to NRA museum standards. Too dry, wood will crack, too damp metal will rust.

RCK
09-28-2016, 09:27
Thanks Dave, that is what I thought, but I have friends that store their handguns in the leather holsters. I will tell them of their "evil" ways!

JimF
09-28-2016, 02:22
Back when dirt was young, I was a member of an auxiliary police dept.

Our "chief" (whose REAL job was as the service manager of the local Chevrolet dealership) holstered his S&W M10 revolver in his black leather holster . . . . and NEVER took it out!!!

Both the gun and cartridges had so much verdigree surrounding them, that even if he ever HAD to pull the revolver, I doubt it would "clear the leather".

What a sight he was in uniform . . . all dressed up in a white shirt complete with gold badge, black pants w/light blue stripe, and a DISGUSTING looking hardware belt that was SUPPOSED to be polished black leather!!! YUCK!! --Jim

p246
09-28-2016, 03:33
My off duty carry is a blued 1911. In the hot humid Kansas Summers I,ve found light surface rust trying to form from my corrosive sweat and the leather holster. I imagine if I left it in the holster for a few days under those conditions I'd have a sad panda face.

dave
09-29-2016, 11:58
I do not even trust that rug type padding in gun safe, even tho it is supposed to be treated . I have had rust spots on rifle barrels that rested against felt padding in gun cabnets and out in an open room. I replace with a vinyl cloth. Have never had a problem since.

Art
09-30-2016, 04:27
I have strored extra barrels for my Rem. 870 in a soft gun cases for decades in and kept the gun in my safe without problems....until this year. If you do something like that check on condition regularly. In January, after hunting I returned my barrels to the soft case and it must have picked up some moisture because one of them had a couple of rust spot the size of a dime. I buffed them out with steel wool and light oil, but there is some light pitting on those two areas. If any metal that might rust or corrode, especially blued carbon steel is stored in anything that is "fluffy" make sure it is checked periodically including several times in the first month or so after storage.

Of course all those problems can be solved by following the advice of folks like dave :icon_salut:.

Johnny P
09-30-2016, 06:06
Moisture or humidity by itself is not the culprit. If the gun is cooler than the surrounding air, any moisture in the air will be attracted to the cool surface just as an ice tea glass "sweats" on a warm day. Small heaters (a light bulb will do the same thing) are made for gun safes that keeps the temperature inside the safe just a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air and no moisture is attracted to the gun. I live in a very humid climate, but rust has never been a problem as long as the guns are properly stored.

I don't like gun rugs for storage as any moisture trapped in them stays there, and if the gun is put away cool it will stay that way for a while. The storage boxes sold by Protecta-Gun are great for storage, and a variety of wrappings can be used. I use VPI paper from Brownells in mine. Also, the boxes stack neatly for storage.

http://www.protecta-gun.com/

Sunray
09-30-2016, 09:58
"...revolver in his black leather holster. . . .and NEVER took it out!!!..." Pair of full time Toronto cops came in the shop, long ago, looking to change grips. One guy tries a set on his issue revolver, other guy likes the feel. Takes out his service piece, tries to unload but it was rusted shut. Not sure if that was as bad as the day the same situation happened, but the second guy had the holster but no gun. Partner went, ape sh.., um, I mean, ballistic.
So there is no safe way to store a firearm in a leather holster. Shouldn't store long guns in a case either.

dave
09-30-2016, 10:59
Moisture or humidity by itself is not the culprit. If the gun is cooler than the surrounding air, any moisture in the air will be attracted to the cool surface just as an ice tea glass "sweats" on a warm day. Small heaters (a light bulb will do the same thing) are made for gun safes that keeps the temperature inside the safe just a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air and no moisture is attracted to the gun. I live in a very humid climate, but rust has never been a problem as long as the guns are properly stored.

I don't like gun rugs for storage as any moisture trapped in them stays there, and if the gun is put away cool it will stay that way for a while. The storage boxes sold by Protecta-Gun are great for storage, and a variety of wrappings can be used. I use VPI paper from Brownells in mine. Also, the boxes stack neatly for storage.

http://www.protecta-gun.com/

That is why I store guns in the open air, ventilated room (not heated or air conditioned). That way the temp changes will be gradual and every thing will be the same temp. Here is a pic of one of my gun rooms, it has an open vent at floor level and another at ceiling level. Vents have furnace type filter material in them.37660 Even the butts rest on vinyl material, have never had a problem with rust.

Oyaji
10-01-2016, 08:09
That looks like quite the collection of military arms you got there, Dave. Very impressive.

dave
10-01-2016, 10:25
Thank you, actually that is only a small part. 1898 model Mausers--3767337674376753767637677 Yeh, I guess I am showing off now but that is the way to store guns. Some have been there for 15-20 years, examined maybe once a year.

EO1
10-02-2016, 09:04
I store my M10 in a nylon holster. No issues.