PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Navy Garand

Hired_gun
10-06-2016, 11:54
I have a Navy Garand built on an original receiver/barrel combo. Every part I put into it was brand new thru Bill Ricca or as close to new as possible.

Initially it performed flawlessly. Now lately, after it fires the 6th round it ejects the spend casing but it also expends the unspent 7th round with it. It the chambers the 8th round no problem.

Any suggestions?

PhillipM
10-07-2016, 04:35
Same clip?

Hired_gun
10-07-2016, 06:06
Same clip?

Different clip, everytime

Ted Brown
10-07-2016, 02:40
Could be a weak recoil spring or defective follower.

Hired_gun
10-07-2016, 03:25
Could be a weak recoil spring or defective follower.

I will try swapping them out....see what happens

Hired_gun
10-07-2016, 03:27
It just seem s strange that it is every 7th round, never fails. It didn't do it when first fired but now....

Dan Shapiro
10-07-2016, 04:56
Tow thoughts: :icon_scratch:
1) Op rod spring free length should be between 19 1/2 and 20 1/4 inches long in order to maintain proper tension and "push" on the cartridges being fed. No flat spots on spring. Clean out the op rod tube, grease the 1st half of the spring that goes down the tube.
2) Clip latch spring is weak. Temporary fix: stretch spring and retry. Will probably work for several rounds, but then the problem will reoccur. Replace spring.

Richard H Brown Jr
10-08-2016, 12:48
Doing a quick goohoo search:

1: Bad enblock clips, AEC marked clips are especially know to have this problem

2: Troubleshooting in the U S Army Operator manual: http://m1-garand-rifle.com/garand-troubleshooting.php

3: Find a good Garand smith, because you said it was made from good original parts.

Since you said it originally worked fine, 1. cleaning 2. lubrication 3. bad clips 4. Parts: Follower rod or cartridge clip latch

Hatcher's Book of the Garand, iirc has some comments on the 7th round clip ejection problem and original solution.

RHB

CPC
10-09-2016, 10:15
from an old TM ..Ref the follower arm... Note: A bend in the vertical plane of the follower arm will affect the timing of the mechanism. If rear end of arm is bent up, the operating rod catch will release early and bolt snap forward as clip is inserted, or boltway close on an empty chamber. If bent down, the catch will engage too early and the clip be ejected containing the eighth, or seventh and eighth rounds. Loading may also be affected, as the catch will not release properly.

So sometimes it is not just the springs, etc., just something else to check. Over time, I have seen a lot of follower arms sold on ebay with a little wow or bend in them from the pics..
CC

Hired_gun
10-09-2016, 08:20
Thanks guys, I will have to check these things

Sunray
10-10-2016, 09:17
Manuals are here. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. TM 9-1275 and FM-23-5.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
It's probably a bent follower arm(usually on the 7th round) or bullet guide or a defective clip ejector or its spring.
This is not the fabled Seventh Round Stoppage thing. That was solved before the rifle was in full production. It had to do with a manufacturing error.