PDA

View Full Version : unusual and unknown magazine follower

BEAR
10-22-2016, 01:50
I wasn't sure whether to place this in the M1917 or the M1903 forum. But since the follower came out of an 03 and the 03 forum seems to get more lookies and hits, here I am.

I have recently aquired a Springfield M1903 in the 1.4mil. serial number range( barrel SA 7-33). While working with the rifle I noticed that the bolt would not lock to the rear when the cutoff was "ON". Thinking that the magazine follower was crooked in the rifle I took it out and reinstalled correctly. Same results. I took it out again an noticed that it had an additional raised metal piece at the rear of the follower. I pulled my M1903 Mk1 follower out and compared them. Sure enough, there was additional metal at the rear of the follower and it looked like it was milled this way not just added on later. It is also parkerized not blued so I imagine it was designed for military rifles. Why would anyone want a follower that didn't lock back the bolt after the last round? Green soldiers in the heat of battle would continue to "cock and click" long after their ammo was expended ( something akin to "buck fever").

I then remembered that the M1917 did not have a cutoff and one of the complaints about the rifle was soldiers not being able to complete "Inspection Arms" in a sharp military manner because they had to fumble with the follower to close the bolt. Many soldiers used the dime trick or aquired a special made "follower insert" to complete their inspection arms. Was this follower made to replace the insert so the rifle could still complete the inspection arms and yet be able to accept ammunition without having to remove the dime or insert.

After replacing my M1917 follower with the unknown follower, the rifle functioned flawlessly without locking to the rear.

I cannot find any information on this follower so any comments and guesses would be appreciated. Pictures are included.

M1Garandy
10-22-2016, 06:12
I won't swear that it is, but that could be a modified Pattern 14 follower.

BEAR
10-22-2016, 07:32
BINGO ... Thanks M1Garandy... it's called a P14-c18 follower. Used for ceremonies.

chuckindenver
11-01-2016, 04:43
the OPS follower is a Winchester M54 follower. not the same as the P14 pictured

BEAR
11-01-2016, 06:40
Ok, thank you.

BEAR