PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a new to me M1A

pirateclem
10-24-2016, 01:25
Looking at getting a Springfield National Match NA9802 very soon (My first M1A) and have a couple questions. First is on a scope mount. I am thinking about going with smith enterprises, but is there any reason I would go with the ACOG style vs. the normal mount. Any other company I should look at? This will be for long range work only, no need for a tactical scope. Also, I would like to be able to use the iron sites while a scope is mounted for 100 yd's and less, as far as I know the Smth ent mount allows for this. Given that, my next question is about a cheek rest. Seems like I would need one for the rise on this type of mount. I was thinking about getting a leather strap on boot like I have on my M1-D, any opinions good or bad on that?

So, scope. Yeah, I know depends upon price range. I'm building out what will be my primary range rifle so there is a finite amount I am willing to spend but anything say $1500 and under would fit the bill for me. I can't imagine I'll shoot out beyond 600 yards and most of my time will be 200-300 yards. I was thinking about the Leuopold MkIV.

Ok, I know that none of you have any opinions on anything...so I guess let 'er fly.

thanks in advance. I'm excited to get this home and put it together.

Major Tom
10-25-2016, 07:43
LRB makes the best M1A, but, pricey.

ray55classic
10-25-2016, 09:21
I prefer an ARMS#18 with ARMS #22 QD rings [the lowest mount made commercially] 37911
or a Bassett low picatinny mount with conventional rings,either of these mounts are rock solid,
and allows you to shoot open sights unimpeded quickly and just as quickly reattach without loss of your zero.
IMNSHO either of these are as good or better than the Smith mount and you don't have to deal with that pompous egotistical ass
who blames you if something doesn't work as advertised and has been known to sue customers [quite unsuccessfully I might add]

Deano41
10-25-2016, 10:09
I can't speak to the scope/cheek rest topic. But "The M14 Owner's Guide and match conditioning instructions" by Scott Duff is an excellent book. He has a chapter in the book on match conditioning that I followed, and the results were excellent. It only required a few part replacements. I didn't go crazy with bedding or some of the other things "The Big Boys" do, but what I did add made the M1A one of my most accurate rifles.

Good luck, and enjoy your new rifle!

ray55classic
10-26-2016, 06:28
For your first M14/M1A I'd like to introduce you to a very informative series of videos on the M14/M1A rifle ,
I'd highly recommend this gentleman he's highly respected in the M14 community ,His Internet Youtube name is tonyben3 ,
he has a complete series on every aspect of owning ,cleaning, lubing, maintaining, building , and troubleshooting these fine rifles ,
packed with plenty of close up photos and in easy to understand language I think they'll get you comfortable maintaining your rifle properly
So because of your obvious good taste in rifles, for your viewing pleasure, here's the starter of the series, if you like it ,watch the rest of the series,
and don't forget to thank him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNKcWNeQzDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzPw9BD56hU

me109g4
10-29-2016, 02:56
Get a parts kit and the receiver of your choice,,,go from there.

Griff Murphey
11-03-2016, 12:24
My M-1A's are old and very old SA inc. so they are all USGI except receivers.

I have an SA Inc. mount that uses the big knob plus bolts on to the stripper clip guide mounting. That one has never shot well. I have the Basset mount made in Dripping Springs, Texas which attaches only by the knob (actually a bolt) and I really like it. Comes with a torque wrench that stows easily in the butt trap for uniformity in tightening the bolt that takes the place of the "traditional" main knob. You can get it in a high mount if you want to use irons, they have several options Basset claims his mount can be taken off and remounted with a variance in zero no greater than 1 MOA. My experience verifies this. If you want to use your iron sights just take your Basset mount off and blast away. Put it back when you want it again. I use a cheap BSA 3-9 with a big objective and the rifles are very accurate with it. I switch the rig back and forth as needed.

I have a Blackhawk Tactical nylon cheek rest which supports my cheek better than a previously tried M-1D repro pad. When I lace it up I secure it to the rigid butt sling swivel so movement of the cheek pad is minimized. With practice it can be taken off and on quite quickly as if you want to hunt, then go shoot some CMP or NRA bullseye.

Bill E
11-04-2016, 05:15
+1 on the Blackhawk cheek rest Griff. Minimum movement and I find easy to remove and replace.