PDA

View Full Version : cracked M1 Stock

remus
10-24-2016, 04:47
Shooting Saturday and was clicking right along and then about the second shot out of the third clip, the rifle doubled. In all my years I've never had a Garand double. After that it kept shooting without any noticeable problems. Put an additional three or four clips through the rifle and took it back to a table. Walked away from it and when I returned I noticed a large crack in the stock. It went from the rear center of the receiver, down the right side of the rifle and forward to the rear of the trigger guard. There was no crack when I first started shooting it.

Question is: Did the double cause the crack, or was the crack already there and caused the doubling of the rifle? I never noticed the crack until well after shooting, about twenty minutes.

Anybody got any experience like this?

Richardrose
10-24-2016, 08:33
Shooting Saturday and was clicking right along and then about the second shot out of the third clip, the rifle doubled. In all my years I've never had a Garand double. After that it kept shooting without any noticeable problems. Put an additional three or four clips through the rifle and took it back to a table. Walked away from it and when I returned I noticed a large crack in the stock. It went from the rear center of the receiver, down the right side of the rifle and forward to the rear of the trigger guard. There was no crack when I first started shooting it.

Question is: Did the double cause the crack, or was the crack already there and caused the doubling of the rifle? I never noticed the crack until well after shooting, about twenty minutes.

Anybody got any experience like this?

I had a Garand double and then a hole clip go full auto, the stock was too tight inside. I relieved the stock and the double went away. I would guess the stock broke and put pressure on the internal parts to cause the doubles. Good luck trying to find a new stock. Nice stocks are hard to find.
Rich

Richard H Brown Jr
10-24-2016, 10:11
Remus:

Unless you need to rebuild to "as issued" condition, new stocks from ODCMP, Dupage. If you want to be recreating. Gunparts Corp (Numrich) sells cartouche stamps to recreate the stampings. And they sell Used GI, and Nato stocks.

C-90

psteinmayer
10-25-2016, 04:10
CMP sells new stocks.

Latigo 1
10-25-2016, 07:14
Remus:

Unless you need to rebuild to "as issued" condition, new stocks from ODCMP, Dupage. If you want to be recreating. Gunparts Corp (Numrich) sells cartouche stamps to recreate the stampings. And they sell Used GI, and Nato stocks.

C-90Putting fake stamps on stocks is probably the most despised practice in all of firearm collecting

remus
10-25-2016, 02:50
I guess nothing ventured nothing gained. Does anyone know of a glue that can be used to glue stocks. The stock is split not completely in half and is in one piece. If I can glue and clamp it and have it hold that would be as good a cure as a new, old, stock. I don't feel like messing with the metal parts and all. I'm in to easy. Never going to sell the rifle and not interested in making it WWll original. Just usable.

gwp
10-25-2016, 05:00
Thin Super Glue. The thin stuff penetrates deep into small cracks.

OR

Gorilla Glue

I have used both products on wood stocks and they work well if you follow the directions.
Torquing the stock to open up the crack helps the glue penetrate.

Deano41
10-25-2016, 10:23
Putting fake stamps on stocks is probably the most despised practice in all of firearm collecting
I couldn't agree more!
We have a "vendor" that works the shows in So. Cal. that deals in "enhanced" WWII U.S. firearms. His products are force-matched, with bogus cartouches.

Richard H Brown Jr
10-26-2016, 02:36
I meant recreating the stamps and acceptance punches from the old stock onto the new one, AND stamping 'Reproduction Stock' on it.

psteinmayer
10-26-2016, 04:16
Putting fake stamps on stocks is probably the most despised practice in all of firearm collecting

I quite agree. In the military, when a stock is damaged, they issue a "Field Replacement" stock, which would have no stampings. Recreating a stamp on a new stock is no different than faking something. However, I guess if it was clearly marked "Reproduction" as Richard suggested... then I guess it would at least let everyone know that it's not legitimate.

Sunray
10-26-2016, 09:28
"...a glue that can be used to glue stocks..." Epoxy in one of the syringe applicators and a couple clamps. Spread the crack a bit(if you can), squeeze in the epoxy and clamp. Leave it for at least 24 hours.
A cracked stock doesn't cause doubling though. A broken or worn sear or the sear staying open or the hammer spring housing not being assembled correctly does that.
"..."enhanced" WWII U.S. firearms..." Only matters if the guy is trying to sell 'em as "original" collector pieces priced accordingly.

Richard H Brown Jr
10-27-2016, 12:27
How is getting a N.O.S. replacement, and putting the exact stampings on it, any different than "restoring to as-issued" with parts that did NOT come with the gun, when you got it? As fora replacement stock, I'd still like to see the (P) on it, that a smith proof fired the gun in the new stock.

RHB

Latigo 1
10-27-2016, 07:41
How is getting a N.O.S. replacement, and putting the exact stampings on it, any different than "restoring to as-issued" with parts that did NOT come with the gun, when you got it? As fora replacement stock, I'd still like to see the (P) on it, that a smith proof fired the gun in the new stock.

RHB
First of all, original stamps are not available, and no one makes any reproduction stamps that are "exact". Some people have tried to reproduce them, but there are always differences from the originals. Some are close but most are so far off that even a novice can tell the difference. Secondly, where are you going to get a NOS replacement stock? I have never seen one. A restored rifle with all correct parts is still 100% USGI. As soon as you put a stock with fake stamps on it, then it is no longer USGI. It becomes an almost correct rifle, usually with the intent of fooling people into thinking it is totally correct.

10-27-2016, 05:57

RHB

Why would you have to "proof fire" a rifle because of a new stock ? As far as a fake cartouche or any repro part, there is no good excuse. Even if you have no intention of trying to pass it off as original and tell the buyer it is a fake, what will he do when he sells it ? Or if not him the next seller. Someplace down the line the fake parts will be forgotten about, intentionally or otherwise, and someone gets burnt.

gunny
10-29-2016, 12:44
Very well said!!!

Gunny

JimL
10-30-2016, 09:04
Sounds like the bolt impacted the rear of the stock and cracked it. Look for a dent at the top of the inletting in the back.

Don't glue that with super glue. Best way to fix the stock is to inject Brownells acraglas into the crack with a syringe, being certain you have 100% glue contact with the crack and then clamping it properly.
Done many of these, the crack will not come back.

As far as why the rifle doubled, not enough info present. Do check the operation of your trigger group outside the rifle.
JimL
(sparx)

PhillipM
10-30-2016, 09:13
The best way to fix it is to send it to RickB.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/member.php?67-Rick-B

The best way to replace it with USGI wood is buy from Dupage.

https://shop.dupagetrading.com/product_info.php/usgi-buttstocks-p-833?osCsid=55c1c011a5bb6e2f372b4c4e7b78f95f

If you want the best shooter stock, get a laminated stock from Dupage.

Richard H Brown Jr
10-30-2016, 09:13
Oh, wow. I forgot to take my tongue out of my cheek. 8*)

Griff Murphey
11-07-2016, 11:14
I've "fixed" two cracked stocks. One is s beautiful tiger striped stock my college ROTC drill team broke in about 1969. Crack went all the way top to bottom right in the middle where the clip goes on one side. Dug it out of the trash in the armory... I packed it with Elmers epoxy (strongest glue I had back then...) and taped it with masking tape. Cure time 31 years. Put it on a CMP rack grade Winchester, have run 300~ rds through it, still fine.

The other was a cracked FN-49 stock - crack running from just aft of the trigger guard to the top of the stock about the middle of the mag well. I believe in both cases the guns hit the pavement butt first, the FN courtesy of a poor packing job and careless shipping service. I degreased it as best I could with lacquer thinner, injected Gorilla Glue CA, and clamped the repair. 15 rd. Test fire was ok. If you like your stock I would suggest you try a repair, if that is unsat you can always replace it.