PDA

View Full Version : Seating bullets at the range

PhillipM
10-29-2016, 07:42
I want shortcut load development and take a press to the range so I can experiment with power charges and seating depths.

I've use my rockchucker bolted to a plank and c clamped it to a bench, but it's a heavy beast.

Do any lightweight aluminum presses have tight enough tolerances to make consistent ammo?

p246
10-30-2016, 03:05
All the guys I see doing that at the range are using Arbor Presses. I have no experience with them but those guys shoot well so they are doing something right.

psteinmayer
10-30-2016, 04:35
When I attend Cast Bullet benchrest matches, there's a guy using a simple LEE hand press... and he was the guy who consistently won the matches! I've also seen the arbor presses. I've yet to see someone take his home loading press set up.

Major Tom
10-30-2016, 05:42
While I can see the advantages of load development at the range; I would find that concentrating on that to be dubious due to so many interuptions.

JimF
10-30-2016, 07:12
While I can see the advantages of load development at the range; I would find that concentrating on that to be dubious due to so many interuptions.

Interuptions aside . . . . trying to weigh powder charges OUTSIDE in the breeze, is an exercise in futility! --Jim

PhillipM
10-30-2016, 09:26
Interuptions aside . . . . trying to weigh powder charges OUTSIDE in the breeze, is an exercise in futility! --Jim

I'd planned on seating long at the house then playing with depths at the range. I could set up different powder weights the same way. It would be a pain to secure my stuff, but we do have a meeting room with folding tables I could use to weigh out charges.

Sunray
10-30-2016, 10:07
The Bench Rest guys have been doing it for eons. I've seen pictures of some very elaborate rigs on/in a pick up. And there's no bunch of reloaders more particular than Bench Rest guys.
The press doesn't have a great deal to do with consistent ammo. Don't think I'd haul a Rockchucker either. Any single stage press will do everything a Rockchucker will do.
"...OUTSIDE in the breeze..." Isn't terribly difficult to block the wind.

psteinmayer
10-31-2016, 03:56
Most of the bench rest guys I've shot with don't actually weigh their charges... but rather are using an RCBS or LEE Powder Drop to charge their cases. FWIW