PDA

View Full Version : SRS help?

1903fan
11-10-2016, 07:30
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I am an enthusiast of Springfield rifles. What is the SRS check? I see this talked about, and am curious.

relics6165
11-10-2016, 08:23
1903fan:

SRS is Springfield Research Service, started by Frank Mallory years ago. He began listing serial numbers of military arms of all kinds that he found in archives. He published 4 books of serial numbers, and one booklet of DCM rifle sale serial numbers. For 03 Springfields, these books are used to authenticate National Match rifles, Sporters, Service rifles, Type T and International Match rifles, and other 03s sold by the DCM. In addition to DCM sales, there are many other serial numbers listed that will give a snapshot in time of the rifle's use. The unit may be identified, maybe USMC ownership, etc..These books are quite valuable in determining a particular rifle's history, but probably less than 1% are actually listed.

HTH

Herschel
11-10-2016, 08:23
Springfield Research Service (SRS) is a company started by a man named Frank Mallory. He obtained untold numbers of serial numberfs of US Martial Arms. He published them in a booklet years ago. Later on there was a second third and fourth books of serial numbers. At one time they were for sale but I don't believe any of the books are available now. The company was sold to a man named Wayne Gagner. Some of us on the forums have the books and will look up serial numbers to see if there is any record of the firearm. Those of us who do the SRS lookups do it as a favor to other collectors. The info on SRS only shows where a gun was and for what reason the serial number was recorded. Info will be something like "123456 3-21-33 to Utica Rifle Club". In the case of firearms sold through the DCM, the name and town of the purchaser are available, for a fee, from SRS.

1903fan
11-11-2016, 07:23
Perfect thanks for the help guys! I had seen it on here and was wondering!

1903fan
11-11-2016, 10:07
As n amateur enthusiast, I am mostly interested in Great War rifles. It'd be wonderful to have an "S.R.S." Springfield for the Allied Expeditionary Forces in 1918.