PDA

View Full Version : Need Stock advice

Sako
11-27-2016, 09:33
I have Three questions I would like help with.

1. Outside of Boyds, who makes the best original military style after market c stock for the 1903 and 1903a3?

2. I have a number of 03s and a3s I would like to accuracy test with a perfect stock, does any stock maker make a laminated stock that is dimensional to a keystone c stock?

It seems most people accuracy test their guns with what ever stock is on the gun and I don't feel like that gives the gun a chance to prove itself.
Out of all the 03s I have only one has a stock that seems accuracy flawless and the others have every problem conceivable. Instead of trying to fix all of these stocks wouldn't I be better off jumping the barrel and action over into a good test stock to accuracy test and then worry about fixing or replacing the original stock?
Thanks

JimF
11-28-2016, 07:23
I hear you, Sako . . . .

I bought a CMP "C" stock (Boyd's) a few years ago, and glass-bedded a barreled-action.

I never added the handguard or any of the bands . . . . in fact, all that holds the thing together are the two action screws.

I never even bothered with a butt-plate! . . . . all I was interested in was the accuracy obtained with that particular barreled-action!

I was very careful to bed the metal for the best accuracy. (Tip pressure, etc.)

Whenever I wished to try out another '03 barreled action, I merely "skim-bedded" it to the very same stock. (Those artisans up at the armory kept the tolerances close enough that the "new" glass bedding took care of any "descrepancies".)

If I remember correctly, I've had three '03's in that same stock . . . and never "finished" the stock!

The stock is now empty, awaiting my next "experiment in accuracy"! --Jim

chuckindenver
11-28-2016, 10:05
Minelli..
they are the only ones that fit.
CMP stocks are ok, i just used one on a build, needed some heavy sanding..but the fit was pretty nice.
i dont think the CMP stocks are Boyds anymore..
Boyds was a mess to fit..

Sako
11-28-2016, 11:26
Jim, Chuck both of you have been very helpful. Thanks

Ted Brown
09-18-2019, 03:04
Minelli Stock.

togor
09-18-2019, 06:04
My Kokolus stocks shoot well. Does whomever took over the business do as well? Unknown.

lyman
09-19-2019, 01:00
Minelli Stock.

nice looking stock!

- - - Updated - - -

My Kokolus stocks shoot well. Does whomever took over the business do as well? Unknown.

http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/

I've not bought anything from them