PDA

View Full Version : Need help in evaluating condition and approximate value of a 1918 Colt 1911

SloopJohnB
12-04-2016, 02:11
I'm considering buying a Colt 1911, and need some help in evaluating it. I know a little about the pistols, and have looked through Clawson's book, but would really appreciate assistance from some of you folks who are much more experienced with these.

Serial # is 5205xx, putting it later in 1918 I believe. Appears to be original finish, although much seems to be worn off. Finish on both slide and frame appears to be consistant. Thumb safety, slide stop, rear sight, mag release and hammer are all the dark blue bluing. Barrel is correct combined "HP" marked, and appears in good condition/no pitting, with some "frosting" in the bore. Everything appears to have been together for some time, so I suppose most could be original. Aside from possibly the thumb safety, slide stop and grips (I'm just not sure from looking at Clawson), I think this pistol could be mostly original. All of the other parts and markings seem to be as they should according to Clawson...although I could be missing something.

I would very much appreciate any assistance/comments you folks can offer as to what I have here, and also, a rough price range regarding what might be a fair price on this pistol. Don't want to overpay, but don't want to make a stupid lowball offer either. I've posted a few pics, but if there are any others that would help, let me know, I'd be happy to provide them.

Thanks for any and all help you all can provide.

John

Scott Wilson
12-04-2016, 05:08
It is very common for the small parts on Colt 1911 pistols in this serial number range to have retained most of their finish. This was due to the hardening process and how the parts took the bluing. I cannot tell about the thumb safety from the photo but the rest looks to be correct. In my area it is a 1500 to 1800 gun.

Chaz
12-08-2016, 09:53

Here are some (poor) photos of my "Black Army." It's difficult to compare finishes because I've taken some pix of this pistol that make it appear light gray and similar to the one you pictured. But this is the actual color of mine. Everything is "correct" and it functions fine. Paid 1900 bucks a couple years ago here on the almost-west coast where everything seems to cost more.
Chaz

SloopJohnB
12-08-2016, 11:56
Thank you gentlemen for your input and opinions...very much appreciated. It's been suggested that this pistol has some serious finish loss, possibly due to some vigorous "scrubbing" according to some. Apparently this finish tended to flake off, and some tried to expedite that process. From what I can tell, the gun seems all correct, and was a bargain at well under $1K.
John
P.S. Nice looking example Chaz!