PDA

View Full Version : "Bataan" M1903s sold by Federal Ordnance eons ago - ad

Rick the Librarian
12-09-2016, 04:54
Some time ago, I posted about some "Bataan" M1903s that had been sold by Federal Ordnance over 25 years ago and sought some input. I was told that they had been imported from the Philippines but had been refinished and totally rebuilt.

On the M1903 Facebook page, someone posted an ad they saw in a 1991 issue of "Man at Arms" Magazine and this was the ad I remember. I saw it in a "pulp" magazine about WWii. The rifle sold for $599 and bayonets at $97.00. I thought the price was $800, but was obviously mistaken.

There was no finish left and my friend John Beard said a couple of parts had been replaced. There were 879 of them and they were sold with the usual "certificate of authenticity" and even a brass plate. Of course, the only thing that was certain was that they came from the Philippines. They could have been left by American troops in 1944-45 or imported at a later time.

However, if any of you happen to know someone who bought one of these and still has one, especially with proof they came from this lot, I would be GREATLY interested!!

http://www.fototime.com/290BAA1B7F0FF7A/standard.jpg

gnoahhh
12-12-2016, 08:08
I would be happy with a ball of rust '03 dug up outside of Mariveles...

louis
12-12-2016, 10:19
Me too. Actually from anywhere historical lol

Rick the Librarian
12-13-2016, 06:30
I quite agree with the "ball or rust" M1903 (or M1917, M1 or M1911) from Bataan!! The TOP of my collecting list!

gnoahhh
12-14-2016, 08:29
Let's see- a plane ticket to Manila, car rental/room/food (rice, monkey meat, lizards, etc.: rations for a "Battling Bastard" circa March, 1942), metal detector/shovel, bug repellent...

Rick the Librarian
12-14-2016, 01:19
Been there, done that in January, 2014! :) 38746

And if you want to see 350 pictures from the trip (if you need a quick cure from insomnia) follow this link:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-LrgC8/i-3j7tscz

(PS - I shot 1800 pictures on the trip! :) )

OrderlySgt
12-14-2016, 06:31
Great pictures Rick. The coast artillery holds great fascination for me. Thanks.

Rick the Librarian
12-14-2016, 07:09
I was a trip of a lifetime ...

Griff Murphey
12-16-2016, 08:42
I was a trip of a lifetime ...
In 1975 I was in 1st Bn 4th Marines as their Naval Dental officer and we were pretty much in Subic Bay the entire summer after the Vietnam evacuation and Mayaguez recovery. Some bright spark got the idea that 1-4 should reenact the Bataan death march as the unit had certainly done in in 1942. After much date setting and talking about it, higher authority decided, much to my personal relief, that it was not "politically expedient" to do it.

Rick the Librarian
12-16-2016, 10:00
Yes, the 4th definitely does have a "connection", but only a few Marines made the March. Most of the 4th surrendered on Corregidor, about four weeks later. While they did engage in a "March" of sorts through Manila, they were trucked most of the way. I am NOT putting them down - ANYONE who made it through 3-1/2 years as a prisoner of the Japanese deserves (and gets!) my utmost respect!!

Griff Murphey
12-16-2016, 03:19
Doug Holdstein, one of our Air Liason Officers, got hold of a CH-46 and flew a bunch of us to Corregidor, which I got to see from the air including the guns and mile long barracks. He then landed on B turret of Fort Drum. Doug was later a pilot of Marine One.

There was an old news writer named O.H. "Karl" King who wrote a really good self published book about his time in the 4th Marines and the PI and his POW experience called THE ALAMO of the PACIFIC.

Rick the Librarian
12-16-2016, 03:32
I spent a day and a half on Corregidor and I was shown around by the son of one of the survivors who had been on the last mortar crew to fire on the Japanese when they came ashore on May 5th. His tour was vastly better than the "canned" tours given to most tourists. The closest I got to Fort Drum was seeing it from Battery Crockett on Corregidor. Had I wanted to wait a little and take a Coast Defense Study Group tour a few weeks later, I might have gotten to go on a couple of the outer islands, one being Carabao (Fort Frank, I believe).

My "guide" for the trip was Bob Hudson, an American ex/pat (and also the son of a March survivor) and he did a wonderful job. We had a banca ride to the southern tip of Bataan where the "Points" fighting took place. We visited Clark Field, Subic Bay Mt. Samat and Fort Wint (located on Grande Island in Subic Bay). This latter trip was special, as the guns currently mounted at Fort Casey, WA, where I conduct tours during the summer, came from there.

I also remember when I went to Subic Bay, my wallet fell out of my pants. It was returned a few minutes later by an honest Filipino who would not take a centavo as reward. I shook his hand and told him how much I respected an honest man.

ElWoodman
01-04-2017, 11:14
GNOAHHH You forgot Balut!

psteinmayer
01-05-2017, 03:58
I also remember when I went to Subic Bay, my wallet fell out of my pants. It was returned a few minutes later by an honest Filipino who would not take a centavo as reward. I shook his hand and told him how much I respected an honest man.

I've been to Subic many times, several of which were during my four years on the USS Ranger. I think you met one of the very few honest men in Subic... truly the exception to the rule there!