PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Mod. 39 (not A) assistance needed

duke133
12-14-2016, 08:36
I am going over a Mod. 39 (early model) and noticed the mag tube release does not allow the outside tube to be extended forward without a lot of effort.
Would it be proper to maybe polish it some? If so, any suggestions what to use and how to do it? I have wiped it down clean & used some good M1 grease on it but there's still what I would consider more resistance than necessary.
Any ideas and anyone have a complete breakdown (not the owners manual) on this rifle? I'd like to have it for whoever gets the rifle once I'm gone.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Emri
12-15-2016, 05:42
The most common cause is a bent or dented magazine tube. Inner, outer, or both. Another cause could be the outer magazine tube retaining pin through the front band. Tube could become twisted or improperly installed and the pin has created a "pushed in" area instead of being in it's groove. Also, rust on the inside of the outer tube could be a culprit. You just have to look at everything related and figure it out.

Good Luck !!

Emri

duke133
12-16-2016, 06:27
Emri,
The inner tube looks fine but I think you're right. The inside of the outer tube probably has some minor rust that did not come out before. Think I'll try a brass bore brush and see what I can break loose.
The rifle is in great shape other than the sticking problem.
Thanks again.