PDA

View Full Version : SC 03A3 Stock Question (and SRS check)

wlm1843@gmail.com
12-24-2016, 03:52
I have a SC 03A3 SN#4760749, Barrel SC 8-43, with blued bolt with "X: on top of handle. Can anyone tell me history of the weapon?

Real puzzle is the stock. This is a Type 11, straight stock with a 7/16" circled "P" (difficult to still read) on the underside of the grip behind the SC trigger guard. No other expected cartouches but there is a 3/16" "B" stamped into the left lower Butt immediately forward of the butt plate (Remington butt plate, by the way, and the band spring slot is squared... Remington). Stock has obviously been sanded and refinished so not sure what was sanded away.

Would appreciate your obviously expert help... and Merry Christmas!

Merc
01-01-2017, 05:26
Most likely the Ordinance Wheel and the acceptance stamp "FJA" that were stamped on the left side of the stock near the action were sanded away. There should also be 4 small inspector marks stamped in the stock just forward of the trigger guard and the circle P just aft of the trigger guard. Check out the photos on the thread "Buying a M1903" to see what the original 03-A3 stock stampings look like. (Click on the paper clip.).

If you're interested in restoring the stock, check out this sight: www.trfindley.com. This guy is restores and refinished rifle stocks, among other things. He has stamp dies and appears to have the capability to properly re-mark a stock.

Johnny P
01-01-2017, 06:45
If the Circle/P is 7/16" you have a Remington stock. Also, the forward cut for the rear band spring is cut square on a Remington stock, and round on a SC.

Rick the Librarian
01-01-2017, 07:19
If you're interested in restoring the stock, check out this sight: www.trfindley.com. This guy is restores and refinished rifle stocks, among other things. He has stamp dies and appears to have the capability to properly re-mark a stock.

I take issue with Findley's "business" of "restoring" a stock with fake markings. Obviously, the OP's stock and his call.

Merc
01-01-2017, 08:24
I take issue with Findley's "business" of "restoring" a stock with fake markings. Obviously, the OP's stock and his call.

Rick,

I know where you're coming from and also know that you're a purest who probably wouldn't be interested in owning a 03-A3 that has been abused. I merely presented Finley's sight to Johnny as an option. He was seeking info on what was stamped on his 1943 03-A3 stock that someone sanded off. The stock was already damaged by a previous owner, so he has two options: leave it the way it is, or restore it with cartouches that would make look as it did prior to the abusive activities. A third possible option would be to replace the stock with one that has the correct cartouches. But, a replacement stock would not be original to the rifle. Given all the parts mixing that occurred during post war rebuilds, a replacement stock might not matter and could be the best option.

Rick the Librarian
01-01-2017, 10:28
Sorry, can't agree - yes, his stock, his call. But Findley's "services" are too much a part of all the fake stocks you see on eBay an other places. "Purism" has nothing to do with it - just ethics.

p246
01-01-2017, 11:59
The problem with Finley's work. IMO. I have a sanded stock. I think it's a Remington so I send it to him for nice clear new stamps. Let's say I'm ethical, as I show off my pretty rifle and make sure to say the stock is a rework, or I sell it making sure to state that. The next person won't and then some poor guy pays too much as it now gets misrepresented.

If the stamps are sanded I figure it is what it is. But if their worn from use like the rest of the gun then it's really the history of the gun. I have a little bit of both and I bought that way on purpose. See the pristine ones fill my human desire to make it look good again, because they already do. The beat up guns I shoot and respect the look. It took years of 18 to 30 ish year old Soldiers to give it that look, some through training and some through battle.

It's your Stock brother if you have it reworked it your business and I won't judge you. One other suggestion is clean it up with a little heat and acetone or other fast drying mineral spirits. Mix 2 parts Turpentine to 1 part Boiled Linseed Oil. Hand rub it on till the stock gets warm in that spot. Let it dry 24 hours and do it again a time or two. You can also search how to use pure Linseed oil but the drying time is much longer. Good luck.

Mercs no disrespect to your suggestion, as your the honest guy I was describing that discloses the work.

Merc
01-01-2017, 12:40
Would appreciate your obviously expert help... and Merry Christmas!

Bill, you asked for help on identifying the cartouches on your stock and it looks like I turned it into an ethics debate. My apologies since you never originally asked for any info on restoring the stock. Re-stamping cartouches raises obvious ethics questions that will probably help this thread to form a life of its own. These guys are correct in their belief that it shouldn't be done for the reasons stated, but I'm also sure that there are a lot of military rifle owners out there who just want the original look and see nothing wrong with a total restoration. That's their choice. At least now you know what options are available and what is considered by some to be unethical.

wlm1843@gmail.com
01-02-2017, 10:24
Johnny, you asked for help on identifying the cartouches on your stock and it looks like I turned it into an ethics debate. My apologies since you never originally asked for any info on restoring the stock. Re-stamping cartouches raises obvious ethics questions that will probably help this thread to form a life of its own. These guys are correct in their belief that it shouldn't be done for the reasons stated, but I'm also sure that there are a lot of military rifle owners out there who just want the original look and see nothing wrong with a total restoration. That's their choice. At least now you know what options are available and what is considered by some to be unethical.

No apologies warranted. All discussions and comments appreciated. I was hoping some one might suggest a Marine history, given their propensity to refinish stocks in unit armories, cartouches be dammed. Hence the request for SRS check (and would stll love to get that).

Bill Martin

ElWoodman
01-04-2017, 02:22
Been into 03s for a few years....1) SRS hit on a SC 03A3 is like finding the golden Wonka ticket. 2) I'm USMC,Ret. and majored in history. I think it unlikely that as late as the last quarter of 1943 that the Corps would be getting too many 03A3s, as they had already switched to the M1.Regarding Marine stocks, specifically MarDet rifles, they got what treatment the ship's Captain ordered (some wanted them varnished and shiny, especially if his ship had a Flag Officer coming aboard.His ship, his rules.)
I think your barrel and bolt are likely original to you receiver. My $.02