PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a front sight band

HCTC Firearms.com
01-07-2017, 08:59
I could use some help figuring out what I need. I have a 1928 Dated springfield factory sporter that is missing its front sight. At some point, someone installed a blued later model base, however, this rifle appears to have not been machined for a spline. Can anyone help me with what I need in this case. The rifle is in fabulous condition otherwise?

Thanks

Nick

Merc
01-08-2017, 05:45
I could use some help figuring out what I need. I have a 1928 Dated springfield factory sporter that is missing its front sight. At some point, someone installed a blued later model base, however, this rifle appears to have not been machined for a spline. Can anyone help me with what I need in this case. The rifle is in fabulous condition otherwise?

Thanks

Nick

Nick - A photo might help.

Herschel
01-08-2017, 10:51
If your rifle is what is commonly referred to as an NRA Sporter, the barrel would not have a spline for the rear sight base. (I am aware that NRA sporters could have been ordered with the barrel mounted rear sight but they are RARE.) If you will email me the serial number I will check SRS records to see if it was sold as an NRA Sporter. If you don't know how to post a photo on the forum you can email me and/or Merc one and we may be of more assistance.

Johnny P
01-08-2017, 01:02
Front sight.

m1903rifle
01-08-2017, 05:41
The spline was probably machined ( filed?) off when the other front sight was installed.

HCTC Firearms.com
01-08-2017, 05:43
It is not for the rear sight, it is for the front sight. I know the rifle is a legit sporter.......it is a 1928 from Culver's estate!!!!!! The bolt, stock, and receiver are all serial numbered right

m1903rifle
01-09-2017, 06:43
It is not for the rear sight, it is for the front sight. I know the rifle is a legit sporter.......it is a 1928 from Culver's estate!!!!!! The bolt, stock, and receiver are all serial numbered right
If the front sight spline is gone, it was probably machined ( filed? ) off when the new front sight was installed. Is the new front sight a "ramp" type? The stock is numbered?

louis
01-09-2017, 09:24
Where the spline was is the sleeve still there? There should be a soldered sleeve where the front sight sits as well as the spline. Sometimes these are removed also unfortunately as then the front sight is too large for the barrel. Check this also.

chuckindenver
01-10-2017, 08:17
ground off,
there is a fix,, but going into detail on the forum..

Cosine26
01-11-2017, 09:52
Deleted - Duplicate