PDA

View Full Version : SRS Springfield Research Service

1903fan
01-13-2017, 02:20
Sorry to trouble y'all again on this, but does anyone know where to find this as a book or service? So far I'm not having too much luck. I'm a touch of a bibliophile and have quite a few books on the Springfield, but I don't have the SRS book. I would like to try to find a good rifle for my boy, who was out of Pendleton years back as a surprise.

Tom Trevor
01-13-2017, 02:50
The SRS books four in number except their are two v-4 books you would want the 1999 one as it has a huge number of 1903 rifles over the 1995 issue. Check ABEbooks .com or any book finder site, some show up on e-bay. Just to warn you a full set will cost over one thousand dollars. The service used to be free on line but a new owner took it private and you have to join his site to ask for information but only by snail mail.

m1903rifle
01-14-2017, 06:38
I have Vol 1, 1995 revision, that I would sell or trade. If interested, send me a PM.

dave
01-14-2017, 09:17
The SRS books four in number except their are two v-4 books you would want the 1999 one as it has a huge number of 1903 rifles over the 1995 issue. Check ABEbooks .com or any book finder site, some show up on e-bay. Just to warn you a full set will cost over one thousand dollars. The service used to be free on line but a new owner took it private and you have to join his site to ask for information but only by snail mail.

Gee. I sold mine, plus many of the newsletters that were sent out before books were printed, for 500! (several years ago tho).

Roadkingtrax
01-14-2017, 10:15
Id simply ask for a serial number to be looked up. People are always are willing to do so that own the volumes.

Also keep in mind, more Serials are still found by people researching where Frank Mallory left off...not in the SRS.

Smokeeaterpilot
01-14-2017, 12:59
Id simply ask for a serial number to be looked up. People are always are willing to do so that own the volumes.

Also keep in mind, more Serials are still found by people researching where Frank Mallory left off...not in the SRS.

I hear a member on here, CplNorton has been finding a lot of new USMC serial numbers through his work. Check with him.

Roadkingtrax
01-14-2017, 01:04
I hear a member on here, CplNorton has been finding a lot of new USMC serial numbers through his work. Check with him.

Good Advice!

It is my understanding that Steven and several other folks are discovering new documents through National Archives research? In some cases he's even discovering new information in regards to Marine sniper programs. Exciting time to see people willing to invest the time and resources to do so.

1903fan
01-14-2017, 06:31
It'd be a bit of an expensive venture to just buy rifle after another to find one noted to the First Marine Regiment! I will be keeping my eyes out for a set of the books.

03collector
01-16-2017, 08:01
My first book was the DCM sales book. I use it all the time thats the small blue book. I bought in that in the mid 80's. What is that going for now. I also have the 4 volume set. Haven't seen one for sale in a long time.

Discus420
02-14-2017, 10:17
You can get all the books and publications on a disk on ebay for 125$

1903fan
02-17-2017, 03:33
I was able to get the SRS from another forum member, thanks again for the help all:wave:

Punch the Clown
02-21-2017, 05:53
You can get all the books and publications on a disk on ebay for 125$

Discus, it was a matter of time until someone dis-assembled the books and scanned them. Until you came along I considered my set a collectible and an investment. I don't think they're worth any more than the paper they're printed on now that you digitalized it.
I'm sure you checked but is there any intellectual property attached to the books?

cplnorton
02-21-2017, 08:25
Discus, it was a matter of time until someone dis-assembled the books and scanned them. Until you came along I considered my set a collectible and an investment. I don't think they're worth any more than the paper they're printed on now that you digitalized it.
I'm sure you checked but is there any intellectual property attached to the books?

Frank had a digital set even back then. They were very expensive, and not common. And the guys who bought them guarded them very closely. I imagine someone got a hold of this digital version and they are just selling a copy of the file. It would just be as simple as a click of a mouse to send them out.

Legally, I don't know how you could do it, without written permission from Wayne or whoever owns the copyright info now.

The other thing in this, now with it being sold in this digital fashion. It only takes one other person who buys it, to realize they can sell it for a few dollars cheaper and make money as well. So once that starts, I think most can figure out the outcome.

firstflabn
02-21-2017, 11:00
I'm not a lawyer (don't even own a three piece suit), but I do have a passing familiarity with copyright law. US government records are in the public domain from the moment they're created. The matter doesn't end there, however. Copyright is about establishes a property right in intellectual activity.

Coming up with a new interpretation of a government document is an intellectual activity - the act produces something that never existed before. The dividing line is necessarily fuzzy, but an act such as alphabetizing a list of entries in a government report doesn't create anything new, and, thus, is not protected. However, it could be argued that assembling similar data from widely scattered locations and presenting it as a compilation (as Frank did) is. There was intellectual activity in figuring out where to look, determining the data from different sources was relevant, etc.

If you published the photo of the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi, that would not be eligible for copyright protection. However,if you wrote a new caption for the photo, that part would be protected.

The current law no longer requires that you register your work to gain protection, but as a practical matter, if you don't register it upon publication, your prospects of finding a lawyer to take the case are nil (registering it, assuming it's a valid claim, provides for the pursuit of attorney's fees and also treble damages for economic losses). Since cases have to be filed in federal court in the district where the violation occurred, there's no path forward without a lawyer with expertise in the field. If you timely filed your copyright registration, however, there are plenty of lawyers who would take the case on a contingency basis and write a demand letter for 'go away' money in a settlement with no intention of going to court.

Fair use is another intentionally fuzzy concept in the law, but quoting brief passages from a copyrighted work for the purpose of discussion is protected, so nobody here is at risk. The sometimes cited, "All you have to do is give credit for the author" before quoting beyond fair use is an invalid assertion.

Deaner13
03-23-2017, 03:10
Would anyone be able to do a quick serial number look up for me in the SRS volumes? Trying to find info on #20842 (Colt 1860 Army). Thanks in advance to any takers!
Best regards,
RMR

Tom Trevor
03-24-2017, 09:57
No hit closest is 20861

Deaner13
03-25-2017, 06:31
Hey Tom,

Thanks so much for the lookup. I figured it was a long-shot. One follow-up request - on the closest 20861 number you found - what sort of information is provided on that? I have not ever actually used one of the SRS volumes so am not sure what sort of data they contain. I just read about them as being a good reference, hence my original request for the look-up. Thanks again for the assist!

Sincerely,
RMR

Tom Trevor
03-25-2017, 09:45
It is one line reading. 20861 60A 64 co.A 1st conn. Vol .Cav. For further data you have to order a letter from the SRS they go back to the archives and copy the data and mail it to you. In this case you would receive a roll showing weapons on hand. Not much additional information of value I would guess.

Deaner13
03-26-2017, 01:07
Thanks for the additional info. I really appreciate your time.
RMR

Deaner13
04-28-2017, 09:35
Hello Tom/All,

Sorry to trouble folks again, but wanted to ask for an SRS look-up on a Colt 1860 Army revolver I just purchased at auction. S/N is 20220. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sincerely,
RMR

m1903rifle
04-28-2017, 09:53
Sorry...no hit. Here are the closest:

20144 60A 1865 CO A Loudoun County Rangers
20561 60A 1864 CO I 3rd MICH Vol Cav

Deaner13
04-28-2017, 10:29
Thanks so much for checking - I really appreciate it.