PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor slings

sdkrag
01-14-2017, 06:59
Found two original Trapdoor slings at a gun show today. I have found Krag slings in the past but two decent Trapdoor slings is a first for me. One even has inspector stamp and arsenal stamp. I may have to learn how to post pictures yet!

p246
01-15-2017, 06:21
I'd go buy a lottery ticket. Love to see pics. Mines sporting a repro. Haven't seen a good TD sling at a show in some time.

sdkrag
01-15-2017, 04:10
I think these are the first Trapdoor slings I've ever encountered. You don't see a lot of Trapdoor leather in S.D.. I think you see way more accoutrements at show out east. There used to be big dealers at the shows like Joe DeChristopher and others who had access to surplus out of the depots. They are cleaning up really nice. I can't believe the leather is as solid as it is for being 100 plus years old. I even took a reproduction sling off one off my rifles to check the length. They are the real deal.

p246
01-15-2017, 05:29
Kansas shows same way. Tulsa in Midwest is ones best chance, Maybe I'll get a chance to go next show.

Major Tom
01-16-2017, 06:13
When I bought my 1884 rifle from Al Frasca several years ago, I also bought from him an original sling and bayonet. All of which are in excellent, almost new condition. I have since added an original McKeever ammo pouch too.

p246
01-16-2017, 08:23
When I bought my 1884 rifle from Al Frasca several years ago, I also bought from him an original sling and bayonet. All of which are in excellent, almost new condition. I have since added an original McKeever ammo pouch too.

Funny you bring that up. Bayonets I see a lot of. My Keever pouches too but not as many. Slings are what's hard to find show wise. I'd think the Mc Keever pouch would be just as hard but I saw two at last show. One was nice and had been taken care of. The other not bad but was a little dry.

sdkrag
01-16-2017, 03:21
McKeevers were used mostly in garrison. Bayonets (at least in the Indian Wars) the same. Used for parade or guard duty. Slings got used hard. I sued an original McKeever when I first started re-enacting. Man that was hard on 100 year old leather. I have used reproductions for years. There have been some really good accoutrements made in the last few years.