PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 1010 scale

BlitzKrieg
01-17-2017, 06:01
This has always been a superior scale and expensive. It was the gold standard for a long time.

IT was made by Ohaus (no longer make reloading scales ) in New Jersey. Turn it upside down and it says New Jersey. Made in USA and reliable.

Then RCBS moved the 1010 production to Mexico and quality slid and then to China and its a crap scale now. Turn the Chinese version upside down and you read New Jersey. They cloned the scale perfectly to copy the Ohaus original except the quality.

Ohaus marketed the 1010 under their name for a while , so did Lyman. All sold a variant model called the 510 which had the same superb beam and quality of precision but on a less robust chassis. Either scale will serve you a life time if its made in USA. I am going over 40 yrs on my Ohaus 1010 effortlessly.

So if you are into market for a beam scale, get an original Made in USA Ohaus built 1010 or 510...they are on Ebay and other sites from time to time. Yes you can go to a new current production brand scale but you will be ill served as its features are not as user friendly as these Ohaus built scales .

Made in USA....it makes a huge difference in scales. It just does

Major Tom
01-17-2017, 06:54
I used a RCBS 10-10 scale for a long time. It was THE best beam scale ever! Prices for them have risen greatly tho.

p246
01-17-2017, 08:06
Yep the American made 10 10 scale is awesome. I bought a new RCBS but I think it's called a M1000. I went back to using used 10-10. The new scale was bought on a whim (impulse buy as it was on sale). If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind.

BlitzKrieg
01-17-2017, 10:22
Guys, thanks for posting , I hope with 3 of us flagging the truth, others will avoid costly mistakes.

The little 510 series RCBS /OHAUS is a dandy. With a keen eye at small shows, you can find them sometimes very cheap. I bought one for $10 in fine condition two yrs ago and its a back up on the shelf...may never need it but its there . Same beam as on the 1010 and same accuracy / dependability.

The 510 will go in the $70 to $55 range on Ebay but the 1010 is really quite pricey on Ebay.

Its a shame but the great beam type scales just aren't made anymore for reloaders, what you see today is second rate to the Ohaus products of long ago. If I just had to...a modern scale that might be okay is the Dillon but its method of setting up weight on beam is dinky and a PITA.

Good luck to all

swampyankee
01-19-2017, 02:40
Then RCBS moved the 1010 production to Mexico and quality slid and then to China and its a crap scale now. Turn the Chinese version upside down and you read New Jersey. They cloned the scale perfectly to copy the Ohaus original except the quality.

So if they are both stamped New Jersey how can one tell if it is USA made?

]

p246
01-19-2017, 09:59
My new M 1000 has made in China sticker on bottom.

Brad in Idaho
01-27-2017, 02:14
So I have an RCBS 5-0-5 scale that I got in a Rockchucker kit years ago. It is marked Ohaus. Is it smaller than the 510 series?

BlitzKrieg
02-05-2017, 06:28

So if they are both stamped New Jersey how can one tell if it is USA made?

]

Yes Indeed...the Chicom version has Ohaus / New Jersey cloned right on it. The way to tell the difference is look on the body of scale where your balance beam points...The Chicom / Mexican copy scale here is not in tenths of a grain.

Go here for photo of what is right: http://ohaus.balances.com/1010.html

Now go to 22 second mark at this video for what is WRONG/CHINESE/MEXICAN crap"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG49AA1OKIk

No increments at all there , just the zero mark.

Sir, you asked a great question and hopefully the above will help you out find a real 1010.

The 5 10 RCBS will do the trick too and you can find them (none made in Mex/China) for about 50-60 bucks. Less massive chassis but same beam and same great Ohaus accuracy.

Here is one up for sale that is legit and mint condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Reloading-Scale-Model-5-10-Model-09070-Mint-In-Box-/122316150895?hash=item1c7a9c586f:g:C68AAOSwopRYf8e 3

Darreld Walton
02-16-2017, 09:40
Still own, and use the tan colored Ohaus 10-10, the RCBS version, as well as one of the old Ohaus mfd. 505's. First scale I used was an ancient Redding that had no way to dampen the movement of the beam.
I may end up going with one of the 'super whiz-bang' digital thingies....

Andouille
02-18-2017, 11:54
I may end up going with one of the 'super whiz-bang' digital thingies....

Depending upon your definition of 'super whiz-bang' you may want to consider an Autotrickler with an A&D FX-120i electronic scale. The combination is fast and accurate down to within a kernel or two of Varget, each grain of which weighs approximately .02-grains. I've been much more than well pleased with mine.

Clickie-the-linkie: http://www.autotrickler.com/

Setup is easy. I bought the A&D scale from the Cambridge bunch as recommended. The Autotrickler guy communicates fast and thoroughly but the Cambridge guys may take a day or two to respond to you. You may want to rest the trickler on a mouse pad or other cushion. The manufacturer as well as some other reviewers have several videos up on youtube so you can see what you're getting into, but I don't hesitate to recommend either of them.

Of course, if you really want to go nucking futz, there's always the Prometheus at about 3-K for the lease.....

Danny
04-29-2017, 05:40
Yes Indeed...the Chicom version has Ohaus / New Jersey cloned right on it. The way to tell the difference is look on the body of scale where your balance beam points...The Chicom / Mexican copy scale here is not in tenths of a grain.

Go here for photo of what is right: http://ohaus.balances.com/1010.html

Now go to 22 second mark at this video for what is WRONG/CHINESE/MEXICAN crap"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG49AA1OKIk

No increments at all there , just the zero mark.

Sir, you asked a great question and hopefully the above will help you out find a real 1010.

The 5 10 RCBS will do the trick too and you can find them (none made in Mex/China) for about 50-60 bucks. Less massive chassis but same beam and same great Ohaus accuracy.

Here is one up for sale that is legit and mint condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Reloading-Scale-Model-5-10-Model-09070-Mint-In-Box-/122316150895?hash=item1c7a9c586f:g:C68AAOSwopRYf8e 3

The RCBS 10•10 in that Youtube video is certainly without a doubt USA production, likely 70s production at that. RCBS marked 10•10 scales, all of them, USA, China and Mexican production DO NOT have the tenths division on the scale body at the pointer. Ohaus marked and sold 10•10 scales, at least most of them, DO have the tenths markings on the scale body as shown on that web page. Now, RCBS 5•10 Scales are another matter. Some have the tenths markings, some do not. It depends upon the vintage. All 5•10 scales are US production. I have not seen enough Ohaus marked and sold units to comment on those.

Danny

nf1e
04-30-2017, 08:41
I recently gave my younger son 48 my old Ohaus 10-10 early 70's vintage and replaced it with a current Chinese RCBS 10 -10. I actually like the new one better. I like the micrometer .1 gr device better than the old movable sheet metal .1 gr device. I guess it is whatever you like. Most of my powder is measured with the Lyman 1200 dps pictured and the little Lyman digital just as a check. The 10 - 10 is there just as a comfort because I have had a beam scale in one form or another for over 50 years and feel lost if there isn't one in reach.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0899_zpsx8iquolc.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0899_zpsx8iquolc.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

Danny
04-30-2017, 04:24
I recently gave my younger son 48 my old Ohaus 10-10 early 70's vintage and replaced it with a current Chinese RCBS 10 -10. I actually like the new one better. I like the micrometer .1 gr device better than the old movable sheet metal .1 gr device. I guess it is whatever you like. Most of my powder is measured with the Lyman 1200 dps pictured and the little Lyman digital just as a check. The 10 - 10 is there just as a comfort because I have had a beam scale in one form or another for over 50 years and feel lost if there isn't one in reach.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0899_zpsx8iquolc.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0899_zpsx8iquolc.jpg.html)

Semper Fi
Art

The 10•10 has ALWAYS had the micrometer poise from inception.

Danny

RED
05-05-2017, 01:19
I always thought the Lyman M-5 made by Ohaus was the same as the 10-10. I bought this one a few years ago (1982) and it was used then.

It still works great.

nf1e
05-05-2017, 03:06
I always thought the Lyman M-5 made by Ohaus was the same as the 10-10. I bought this one a few years ago (1982) and it was used then.

It still works great.

That is just like my old Ohaus 10-10 with the little metal thingie for 1/10 measurements. Mine was early 70's vintage. Same color to, with a cream colored cover.

RED
05-05-2017, 03:41
That is just like my old Ohaus 10-10 with the little metal thingie for 1/10 measurements. Mine was early 70's vintage. Same color to, with a cream colored cover.

Yep,,, It is a great scale. The little thumb piece broke off my powder tray and I compensated by adding a couple or three birdshot pellets to the pan trey. With check weight pieces, it still checks perfect.

nf1e
05-05-2017, 03:51
Yep,,, It is a great scale. The little thumb piece broke off my powder tray and I compensated by adding a couple or three birdshot pellets to the pan trey. With check weight pieces, it still checks perfect.

When they work they work. Mine was in service for about 40 years before I gave it to my son.

Danny
05-10-2017, 06:52

A cream or grey Ohaus scale similar to the Lyman M-5 with a sliding tenths poise is an Ohaus 10•0•5 scale. The 10•10 Scales never had a sliding tenths poise and have always, since inception, had a rotary micrometer tenths poise.

Danny

nf1e
05-10-2017, 07:31
A cream or grey Ohaus scale similar to the Lyman M-5 with a sliding tenths poise is an Ohaus 10•0•5 scale. The 10•10 Scales never had a sliding tenths poise and have always, since inception, had a rotary micrometer tenths poise.

Danny

Thanks Danny,
I stand corrected. I never really paid attention to the model number. I just called it my Ohaus scale over the years. I replaced it with a Chinese RCBS 10-10 and it looked close enough to me to think it was the same.

Art