PDA

View Full Version : Boxer primed 7.65 Argy

p246
01-21-2017, 10:57
I was given 550 new old stock 7.65 Argie made in Argentina. Pulled a few and they are boxer primed, 185 grain FMJ, with 41.6 grains flake powder. Are the later ones non corrosive primed. If so I might try and trade them for some 303, but if corrosive I,m thinking pull and use bullets and punch primer and sell brass. The family member that gave them to me said they were 80s vintage.

bruce
01-21-2017, 11:35
TRhat late a date, probably not corrosive. Best to look at the headstamp, box markings and do a google search. Likely find info. at a cartridge collectors site, etc. HTH. sincerely. bruce.

p246
01-21-2017, 02:24
I googled the headstamp most said non corrosive one post said corrosive...the internet????

bruce
01-21-2017, 06:23
If all headstamps match, then you can use a simple plain steel nail to check for corrosive primers. Sand the surface of the nail to make sure the metal is bare. Drive it in a 2x4 board. Pull the bullet from a round. Fire the primed case directing the muzzle blast at the nail. Might want to do two or three primed cases. Take another nail. Sand it. Fire a modern primed case as before. Put both in a area of high humidity. Check in a couple of days. If identical, not corrosive. If the known non-corrosive modern primed case is not rusted but the other nail is rusted... corrosive. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.

p246
01-21-2017, 11:47
If all headstamps match, then you can use a simple plain steel nail to check for corrosive primers. Sand the surface of the nail to make sure the metal is bare. Drive it in a 2x4 board. Pull the bullet from a round. Fire the primed case directing the muzzle blast at the nail. Might want to do two or three primed cases. Take another nail. Sand it. Fire a modern primed case as before. Put both in a area of high humidity. Check in a couple of days. If identical, not corrosive. If the known non-corrosive modern primed case is not rusted but the other nail is rusted... corrosive. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.

Nice idea. Might do that tomorrow in the garage while the wife is home. Should make for a sour look, mission accomplished.

bruce
01-22-2017, 04:29
Re: Nice idea. The method described was one I found when at one time there were a number of different types of surplus M-2 ball available. Recently used it with some AP that was sold by the CMP. It was marked AYA. All came out non-corrosive. Hope your ammo comes out the same. Sincerely. bruce.

p246
01-22-2017, 07:12
Re: Nice idea. The method described was one I found when at one time there were a number of different types of surplus M-2 ball available. Recently used it with some AP that was sold by the CMP. It was marked AYA. All came out non-corrosive. Hope your ammo comes out the same. Sincerely. bruce.

Ah looks like another forum member has an argy and offered to buy it. Found a local shooter that use to be into argys that said this was late production and non corrosive. Gonna sell it and buy some PPU 303, easier than pulling it down and reloading it. Plus if I pulled that on the wife she might not find it as funny as me....she usually don't.