PDA

View Full Version : Highly Incorrect 2nd year of production

AZshooter
01-22-2017, 10:49
I have just the opposite of Musketshooter's. I brought home a Trapdoor carbine from a gunshow last weekend. I thought it was a replica, since the metal is 99.9% high polish deep blue. There is no indication of any previous pitting, staining or discoloration under the blue. The bore is shiney new-looking. The wood had a split behind the lock & into the wrist that had been repaired with Acraglas, but not sanded flush or finished. It had Williams front & rear sights. I thought it was an Italian Replica, but there isn't any manufacturer stamp, import stamp & no proofs. It didn't match any replica that I could find. Looking up the serial number, it was 1874 production year.

The only marks on it are the U.S. Model 1873 stamped forward of the trapdoor hinge, the serial # stamped on the receiver just ahead of the breechplug tang. US is stamped on the top end of the buttplate just ahead of the screw. A U is stamped into the barrel band.

The stock had been previously sanded and a round stamp in the wood just behind the triggerguard tang is barely visible & unreadable, The triggerguard has a sling swivel; there is no saddle ring or bar Never was).

I sanded the Acraglas smooth, and also another area on the butt where a medallion or elongated plaque was once glued on. The extractor spring & rod were missing, and replacements are in the mail

Overall, all metal looks as new without any signs of age or residual pitting under the blue.

I've seen replicas made to duplicate an original, but I have an original that, at arms' distance, looks like a new replica.

Dick Hosmer
01-22-2017, 12:26
If made in 1874, the block should be marked Model/1873/eagle head/crossed arrows/US - and of course the stamp is behind the hinge, not forward of it. Absence of the bar and ring, and the presence of a sling swivel on the guard, means that you have a cut-down rifle - or at least the stock is - as opposed to a true carbine. Should be a fun shooter! You cannot hurt it by taking it to the range - enjoy!!

CATT
03-19-2017, 07:03
My uncle has just brought to me from a friend of his,a Springfield Model 1884 Trapdoor with a 22 inch barrel, Buffington rear sight.replacement stock [so no cartouches],and a serial number of 1970x.It does have the V eagle head
P on left side of barrel. My question is what year of manufacture,original or replica?

Dick Hosmer
03-20-2017, 08:34
Sounds like a rebarrel, or possibly something put together from original parts. The receiver was made in 1875 and is a believable carbine number, but the other parts are later and some would not "match". There are many little features which vary, so I'd have to see picrtures to tell you more. It is not a "replica" (such as an H&R or Pedersoli) but it is not completely correct, either.

CATT
03-20-2017, 09:42
I will try to post pics soon, my main concern is modern ammo vs reloading with black powder loads. I do have some Ultramax 405 gr and some Remington 405 gr [it states on box "safe for all rifles"]