PDA

View Full Version : Question on 1903A3 front sight blade and pin

Bob in WA
01-29-2017, 04:51
I am in need of a A front sight blade and pin. E-bay has a number of front sight base with A blades installed.

Is it possible to remove the pin with out making it unusable. Unable to locate a new pin an the net.

TIA

Bob

John Beard
01-29-2017, 06:51
Front sight blade pins are tapered. As I recall, the pins are installed from the right side. So the pin can be tapped out from the left side without damage.

I make front sight blade pins out of brads from Home Depot. The brads are actually small finishing nails. The brad shank will fit through the pin hole, but the head won't. Just tap the head in until it's nearly flush, cut off the shank on the opposite side, then peen the shank stub so it won't come out.

J.B.

Bob in WA
01-29-2017, 07:21
John

Thank You for the tip. I will try the nail

Shawn Grear
01-29-2017, 08:52
I am going to have to replace the complete front sight assy on my 1903 , I have found and ordered , today as a matter of fact , both , the front sight screw and pin off of Ebay . I am just a little confused as to the direction as to punch out the base pin . When you say it comes out from the left side , which way are you looking at it ? from the muzzle end ? or from the rear to the front end ? I am kinda confused . Does it come out in the direction of the hatcher hole , or does it come out in the direction of the bolt handle .? Sorry to be such a doofus about this but when my parts do come in I want to make sure that I don't mess it up . Thanks in advance for the clarification .,
Shawn

Richard H Brown Jr
01-29-2017, 11:43
Sarco has the base pin for sale, if that's the pin you mean.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/spffrontsightbasepin.aspx

R Brown

Bob in WA
01-30-2017, 01:04
Richard

Thanks for the information. I need the blade pin.

Bob

Chaz
01-30-2017, 05:45
Shawn, sighting down the barrel from the receiver, you drive the pin out from left to right.

John Beard
01-30-2017, 08:29
I am going to have to replace the complete front sight assy on my 1903 , I have found and ordered , today as a matter of fact , both , the front sight screw and pin off of Ebay . I am just a little confused as to the direction as to punch out the base pin . When you say it comes out from the left side , which way are you looking at it ? from the muzzle end ? or from the rear to the front end ? I am kinda confused . Does it come out in the direction of the hatcher hole , or does it come out in the direction of the bolt handle .? Sorry to be such a doofus about this but when my parts do come in I want to make sure that I don't mess it up . Thanks in advance for the clarification .,
Shawn

The M1903 front sight base pin is not tapered. The pin can be driven out from either side.

J.B.

Richard H Brown Jr
01-30-2017, 08:37
Bob:

Just checked Numrich, they have the front sight bits too, probably a lot cheaper than ebay:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/USMilitary-33541/Rifles-42386/SpringfieldModels-40111/Springfield1903A3-42095/PartsList-42071.htm?page=3

Items 38 or 40.

R Brown

Shawn Grear
01-31-2017, 11:02
thanks guys for the info