PDA

View Full Version : Prototype M1866 Springfield Rifle Musket

Edatbeach
02-06-2017, 10:14
This forum might like to see this prototype M1866 full length rifle musket, from my collection. The most obvious characteristic is the single screw in the short hinge strap. Also, the half-moon cuts in the bottom of the breechblock are larger than in the early production arm, and the breech block does not open as far. The stock has only an "ESA" and one sub inspector's cartouche, and it is new-made, without a ramrod spoon.

musketshooter
02-06-2017, 04:03
My breech block looks exactly the same. I always thought it as a cadet model. My rifle has two screws in the hinge.

Dick Hosmer
02-06-2017, 05:23
Also shows the first-type cam latch retaining screw. VERY nice piece Ed, thanks for sharing - will have some more comments later.

Dan Shapiro
02-06-2017, 07:42
Nice!

Fred
02-07-2017, 04:47
Wow!

Dick Hosmer
02-07-2017, 10:26
Apparently not all of the really early 66's did not have the excessively long hammer nose. The block situation is kinda muddy. Clearly, they saw some merit to the lightened block, yet did not adopt it for general use other than on the M1867 Cadet. Even more puzzling is the occurance of both methods of cam-latch attachment on both arched and non-arched blocks - thus yielding four distinct configurations, leaving aside esoteric points like degree of opening. I believe it was Al Frasca who first pointed out that a small book could be written just in the 1866 series alone - within certain limits, variance almost seems to be the norm - nothing surprises me any more.

Fred
02-08-2017, 07:16
Weren't the hinge straps also soldered onto the barrel as well as having the hinge strap screw or screws?
In addition, the rear sight on my 1866 is soldered on even though it has a screw.

Dick Hosmer
02-08-2017, 09:25
Weren't the hinge straps also soldered onto the barrel as well as having the hinge strap screw or screws?
In addition, the rear sight on my 1866 is soldered on even though it has a screw.

Yes, they were.

Dan Shapiro
02-08-2017, 11:40
Dick:

Even more puzzling is the occurance of both methods of cam-latch attachment on both arched and non-arched blocks - thus yielding four distinct configurations, leaving aside esoteric points like degree of opening.

Could it be that they were still "feeling their way' at the time? It being Springfield Armory: Which is simpler? Which is faster? Which is better?